Wednesday, June 7, 2017

30 Day Challenge: Day 30

Courtesy of Off Hiatus Baseball Cards

Day 30: Your Favorite Card In Your Collection

The best card in my collection doesn't represent my favorite player. It doesn't even represent my favorite team. On the contrary, it's a team I don't particularly care for. It's not from a popular set, or even from one of the major companies.

The card itself isn't really all that special.

The crown jewel of my collection earned its place because it represents my greatest day as a collector. For my 15th birthday, my parents took me to a card show in Niagara Falls, NY. We arrived at the convention center, and I found myself at the largest sports card and collectables show I had even been at. The place was huge, and despite being there all day, I don't think I came close to seeing all the tables. A big reason why is because I spent most of my time there waiting in line. At the end of the room, on a raised platform, a ballplayer was signing autographs.

This player wasn't an active player. He retired long before I was even born. I knew who he was though, and knew he was an all-time great. I was star-struck. I waited in line for what seemed like an eternity, but eventually the line moved and I found myself staring greatness in the eye. He smiled at me as I handed him my card, the only card of his that I owned at the time. He signed it quickly, and handed it back. I could barely muster a "Thank you" as I made way for the person behind me. The rest of the day was mostly a blur, because I was overjoyed at the card in my hands. I was now the proud owner of this:

1987 Hygrade All-Time Greats - Promos (Red Backs) Mickey Mantle

In all my days as a collector, nothing will ever top the day I met Mickey Mantle.

Well, there you have it. The 30 day Challenge is complete! I feel a genuine sense of accomplishment.


3 comments:

  1. I mean, it's damn near impossible to argue with an IP Mickey Mantle autographed card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off... I totally miss the 30 day challenge. I had so much fun participating in it. As for that Mantle... it's awesome! Can't put a monetary value on meeting a legend like Mickey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story, fantastic card to own!

    ReplyDelete