Thursday, November 1, 2018

Top 5: Willie McCovey

A quick little post to show off my 5 favorite cards of Willie McCovey, who passed away yesterday at the age of 80. McCovey was one of those players I never would have known had it not been for baseball cards. He played on the west coast and was on the back end of his career when I first started collecting. Baseball cards helped me learn how truly great he was.


5. 1981 Fleer #434 Willie McCovey


You just have to love those bright orange uniforms!

4.  1978 Topps #34 Willie McCovey


A great pose on the underappreciated 1978 set

3. 1976 Topps #520 Willie McCovey


I did a double-take - I had completely forgotten he had played with the Padres too. He's always associated with the Giants.

2. 1970 Topps #63 1969 NL RBI Leaders


My oldest McCovey card is shared with two other Hall of Famers!

1. 1980 Topps #2 Willie McCovey Highlights


This is the card I immediately thought of when I heard he had passed. This is the card that probably made me realize he was one of the all-time greats. (Barry Bonds obviously holds this record now.)

RIP, Willie McCovey...


4 comments:

  1. I was bummed to hear about McCoveys passing, but I'll be honest I feel even worse that I didn't realize he was still living.
    Matt when you get a chance can you email me your mailing address please so I can send you your contest winnings! You should be able to find my email in my profile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's my favorite McCovey card as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My wife and I were in Three Rivers Stadium the night Willie hit the HR mentioned on the highlight card. First base side. He and the other Willie are my favourite Giants. Thanks for the great post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Driving to work today... I had the opportunity to listen to some amazing stories about Stretch on the radio. Although I probably watched him play at some point at Candlestick, he was a little before my time. But being born and raised in the Bay Area, I had a deep appreciation for what he gave to the game.

    As for cards... I love the 1981 Fleer card. I'm also a big fan of this 1974 Topps "Washington" card.

    ReplyDelete