Friday, October 6, 2023

Red Sox Frankenset: Choosing Cards #4-6

Wow, you guys showed a lot of love for Dewey last time! If I went with the group consensus, he would replace the Eduardo Nunez World Series card for the #3 slot. Here's what "your" collective first 3 cards would look like:
 
 
I'm assuming if you didn't suggest a change for a slot, that you agreed with my pick. The 1992 O-Pee-Chee Premier Wade Boggs almost got enough votes to take over the #1 position, which caused Clemens to get a lot of picks for #2. With 3 different cards of the Rocket to choose from however, there wasn't much of a group consensus.

Let's move on to the next row of cards. Just like last time, thanks to the height of my collecting energy being in the (first?) overproduction era, there's a lot of Clemens and Boggs in my doubles box. I'm trying not to repeat, even though these two greats have some fantastic cards out there. (You of course are under no such limitations!) Let's check out the contenders and get some picks!

#4

 
Favorite Card: 1988 Topps - Glossy All-Star Wade Boggs
My Choice: 2021 Topps Archives Xander Boagerts

I used to love those glossy All-Star inserts. I bought more rack-packs because of them. However, since I have a Boggs card already, I'll take Xander's smiling face for my Frankenset.
 

#5

 
Favorite Card: 1990 Fleer - League Standouts Wade Boggs
My Choice: 1987 Donruss The Rookies Ellis Burks

We're only 5 cards in, and I'm amazed at how many solid cards Wade Boggs has already. I'm thinking I could do a small Frankenset just with him! I'm not going to, but I could! The minty green border on Burk's "extended" rookie card will make a nice focus point in the center of the first page.
 

#6

 
Favorite Card: 1981 Topps Coca-Cola Carney Lansford
My Choice: same
 
Even with only 2 choices, this food-issued oddball card would be a strong contender, especially since the 1981 Topps design is a personal favorite.

Row two is complete! Here's how it would look:

 
Do you agree with my choices? What cards are your favorites? Comment below and let me know what changes you would make!


6 comments:

  1. The horizontal Cooper might be a better overall card than the Bogaerts, but will look less good in a binder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 4 - Xander
    5- Clemens' 20K Game
    6 - Lansford

    ReplyDelete
  3. Given that Boggs and Clemens are easy to represent elsewhere, I think all the picks are the right ones. Heck, even if you ignored that consideration, they're good choices. I'm a big fan of the 1981 Coke set.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never noticed until recent years, but Wade really did have a lot of great looking cards. I'm guessing that it wouldn't be possible numbers-wise, but based on the cards alone it almost seems like one could do just an all Wade Boggs frankenset.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Frankenset First Page should have different players, so I'm all for your 3 picks.

    ReplyDelete