Thursday, December 14, 2017

Instantly Iconic

There are cards in the collecting world that most collectors consider iconic - the 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle or the 1989 Upper Deck Ken Griffey Jr, for example. With the news this week that the Veteran's Committee has elected Jack Morris and Alan Trammell to the Hall of Fame, it made me wonder. Is it time to add this card to upper echelons of note-worthy cards?

1978 Topps #707 Rookie Shortstops

Trammell's official induction this summer will make this card the rookie card for not one, but TWO Hall of Famers! That is unprecedented in the history of baseball cards, possibly in all of sports cards. (I don't collect other sports, so maybe someone can confirm this or offer another instance?)

This card was the subject of one of my very first blog posts, and as I stated then, I always though Trammell was worthy of the Hall. (Morris, to be honest, I was on the bubble about...) I was very happy to see the Veteran's Committee elect two players, which in itself was shocking after a track record of electing hardly anyone. They still deserve criticism for denying Marvin Miller, but hopefully these two players will open the door to other deserving candidates in the future.

7 comments:

  1. Definitely nice to see Trammell get inducted - he was one of the best shortstops of his era. I'm also curious to know if this is the only Topps multi-player rookie card to feature two HOF'ers... hopefully someone can enlighten!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had this card, as well as the Morris RC, since I opened those packs of Topps cards as a kid.
    Trammell..and Sweet Lou, were so good, we took for granted that any ball hit on the ground was an out.

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's an interesting question-I can't think of any other Rookie Cards with multiple HOfers, other than the Magic Johnson/Larry Bird Rc. There might be another one and I'm just not thinking of it, but's it's rare for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Matt, I need your mailing address for my Season of Giving. Shoot it my way at: fanofreds (dot) auctions (at gmail) dot com. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice of you to show your Mickey Klutts RC :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just want to say I totally agree that Marvin Miller isn't in the Hall, and that Trammell is clearly deserving but Morris more questionable. Would like to see Tiant and Lou Whitaker get in next time around, along with Miller.

    ReplyDelete