As the release date for the new 2018 Topps set approached, I started thinking about what I can do with one of the packs other than simply showing off what I pulled. Last year, I took the first pack I bought and sent every card out for a hopeful TTM autograph request. I got 2 back, which was enough incentive for me to do so again this year. However I also wanted to do something different.
Eventually, I remembered the famous "One Red Paperclip" story - where a man took a single paperclip and initiated a series of trades until he traded for a house!
Shortly thereafter, another person took a 1986 Topps card of Alan Knicely in attempt to trade his way to a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle.
I've decided to recreate that experiment on a much smaller scale. I'm not looking for anything nearly as valuable as a '52 Mantle. My goal is to take each card in a pack of 2018 Topps and try to get the oldest possible card I can. How far back in time can I go?
So here's where you come in. I need trade partners! I'll list the contents from my pack below. Each of these cards is available for trade. Whatever older cards I trade for will also be added to the trade pile and I'll post regular updates on what is available.
A few self imposed guidelines:
- I'm pretty confident I can at the very least get cards from the "junk wax" era in return. That wouldn't be as much fun, so I'm establishing a baseline of cards from 1983 or older. (Besides, since that's what this year's insert design is honoring, it fits!) That's obviously not set in stone - I'll consider any card as long as it's older than the one I'm giving up.
- Although my goal is to get the oldest cards I can get, I reserve the right to keep a card. Who knows, I may get offered something I like too much to put back out on the trade floor. If that's the case, I may swap that card out with something comparable.
- Ideally, I'd like most trades to be conducted through the Trading Card Database. It's just easier to keep track of trades. If you are on the TCDB, my name on there is Kep75. If you're not a member of the site and still want to trade, not a big deal. We'll still make it happen! Just comment below.
- I'm hoping to make most of these trades a straight one-for-one, but if I need to part with extra card or two to get something better, than so be it!
- I'm doing this mainly for fun and to get myself out there in the trade world. I'm not necessarily looking to get the better end of a trade. On the flip side, I know the inserts will at least fetch a higher return than the base cards.
- In the event multiple people make an offer for the same card, I reserve the right to poll my fellow collectors/blog readers as to which trade I should accept should I be unable to decide myself.
#180 Ryan Braun
#19 Garrett Richards
#244 Francisco Mejia (RC)
#278 Lucas Sims (RC)
#83-60 Justin Turner (1983 Topps insert)
#DJH-21 Derek Jeter's 2,000 Career Hit (Derek Jeter Highlights - Black insert)
#86 Eric Hosmer
#239 Cleveland Indians Team Card
#135 Atlanta Braves Team Card
#66 Ian Kennedy
#82 Justin Smoak
#124 Julio Urias
So, here we go! Send me a trade offer, either in the comments below, or through the TCDB. What's the oldest card you'd offer for any of these?