Monday, December 17, 2018

No One Wanted a Hall of Famer's Rookie Card!



This is maybe my 4th or 5th attempt at blogging. The others have fallen at the wayside because I haven't been able to consistently create content. I think the longest I've gone has been 2 -2 1/2 years. This one right here is still only 20 months old. Maintaining a blog is hard to do, and harder to do well. When a blog can celebrate a 10 year anniversary, it's truly a remarkable feat worth celebrating.

Greg, aka Night Owl, hit that mark recently over at Night Owl Cards. To be able to keep a blog up and running for a decade requires talent and a love what you're writing about. Night Owl has both of those in abundance!

To celebrate this decade of excellence, Greg held a giveaway for his followers. 30+ cards, all of them impressive - vintage, relics, short prints. There wasn't a stinker in the whole lot. When I was assigned spot #30 on the list, I was actually relieved. There were no Red Sox in the lot, so it would have been a tough decision to begin with. Being at the bottom of the pack meant I only had to pick from 3-4 remaining cards - much more manageable! Like everyone else, I ended up with a great card:



I'll be honest, I was a little surprised that this was still around when it was my turn to pick. I know that "junk wax era" cards don't hold the appeal of the previously mentioned vintage, relics, and short prints. However, we're talking about the rookie card of an inner circle level Hall of Famer! Granted, it's not as iconic as his Upper Deck rookie, and slightly less commonplace than his Donruss or Fleer, but this is still the rookie card of one of baseball's all-time greats. That made my decision easy! I even have a nice way to display it!

Thanks Night Owl! Thank you for the card, but more so thank you for the blog, for giving us things to read, ponder, and discuss for these past 10 years. I'll be reading for as long as you keep writing!


6 comments:

  1. You're welcome! Curious about your display.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a wall plaque I won from another contest awhile ago. The text links to the post if you want to see it.

      Delete
  2. I had no idea that you had had other blogs, were they sports card related too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. I had one that was related to my fantasy baseball teams, and one that was a general baseball topic, but nothing specific to card collecting.

      Delete
  3. I love that Griffey! I go back and forth between that one, his UD, and his Bowman as my personal favorites. All three are great looking cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have to give his UD first place, only because it's the only one where he's smiling. The Topps (and ironically the Donruss) are next just because the card design's use of color matches up with the photo well.

      Delete