Friday, May 14, 2021

OK Then, I Guess I'm Trying To Complete These Two Sets Now...

After countless positive reviews and platitudes, I decided to give the BaseballCardStore.ca a try. I had been hesitant at first because (A) I just haven't had the opportunity to search and find individual cards I need and (B) I feared that I would fall victim to "Target Syndrome" - going in looking to spend maybe $10 and suddenly finding maybe $50 worth of cards in my shopping cart.
 
Both points were for the most part unfounded. I was able to find cards easily enough through their web site, and while I did end up with a multitude of cards I wasn't planning on adding, it still didn't break the bank.

I started out looking to add some Red Sox cards I didn't have, obviously, focusing mainly on Topps base set cards from the 90's I was missing.
 
 
While I was searching, I came across a huge listing of cards from Fleer's 1996 Red Sox team set. The complete set is only 20 cards, and I already had two of them. Could I potentially complete the set here and now? 
 
 
Close, but not quite - the two biggest names in the set, Roger Clemens and Jose Canseco, still allude me. Still, it's pretty cool that I'm close to putting this team set to bed.
 
Then I really started tumbling down the rabbit hole. My So Close page lists the sets that I'm really really close to completing (85% complete at least!) I wondered if there were any sets I have that fell just below this marker that I could potentially boost up and then add to the page. TCDB makes this easy to figure out, and surprisingly the next closest set to 85% done was the 1992 O-Pee-Chee Premier set. Surely a Canadian web site has O-Pee-Chee cards, right? This should be easy...
 
 
Alrighty then. You could say I found a few cards from this set that I was missing. I definitely wasn't expecting to add these cards when I started, and yet here we are.

So now both the 1996 Fleer Red Sox and the 1992 O-Pee-Chee Premier sets have been added to my So Close page, teasing me with near completion.
 
The Baseball Card Store's great selection and prices, along with some great customer service, ensures I'll be back again. Who knows what trouble I'll get myself into next time? 




 
 


2 comments:

  1. The bulk of my card purchases in 2021 has been from baseballcardstore.ca. You can find some pretty cool hidden gems on their site. I also enjoy their mystery packs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have some of those OPCs that you need - I'll send them out to you soon.

    ReplyDelete