Monday, June 3, 2024

Red Sox Frankenset: Choosing Cards #13-15

It's been over a month since I looked at some cards for the Red Sox Frankenset! We're starting row #2 of page #2, so lets pick some cards!

#13


Favorite Card: 2019 Topps #13 David Price
My Choice: same

I really wish the Betts card wasn't so boring. The design is boring, the photo is boring. It's just blah. I can take solace in the fact that this probably won't be my last Betts card to choose from. The nod goes to David Price, who gets bonus points for his pointy beard and his foot breaking through the border.

#14


Favorite Card: 1988 Score #14 Jim Rice
My Choice: 2003 Playoff Prestige #14 Johnny Damon

I like the big swing that Rice is giving, but a pre-caveman Johnny Damon gets the coveted spot due to an interesting card design and the fact I won't have many options to add the lead-off hitter for the curse breaking World Series team.

#15


Favorite Card: 2008 Upper Deck Masterpieces #15 David Ortiz
My Choice: 1980 Topps #15 Bill Campbell

This was a tough choice, and one I may have to revisit. We have another Fleer World Series card! Granted this one is from the 1970 set, but visually it's too close to the 1971 card I added to the page last time. Plus, this card doesn't reference any particular player. Also again, we have another Upper Deck Masterpieces card. It's a great card of Big Papi with a Laser Show cameo, which makes it my favorite of the four. However (for now), I'm putting in Campbell, who has his special place in Red Sox history as their first big free agent signing. He's a former Red Sox All-Star and Rolaids Relief Pitcher of the Year, and deserves to be a part of the Frankenset.
 
With these selections, Here's how the middle line of Page 2 shakes out.


I'll admit, I'm not quite sold on how this row looks. I'll have to see how the page as a whole shakes out before making any real changes though. What say you, good readers? Did I make the right choices? What cards would you have picked?

3 comments:

  1. If it were my frankenset, I'd go with: Price, Roger, and Papi

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Jim Rice would've been tough for me to leave out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have gone with Masterpieces, but I am not aware of Campbell's importance.

    ReplyDelete