Monday, March 11, 2024

Red Sox Frankenset: Choosing Cards #10-12

First things first - Congrats to Randy (rjsahl) from the TCDB for winning the little contest I held last week!  The prepaid card I used to make all those eBay purchase had a whopping $40 on it! His guess of $30 was the closest without going over!

It's time to start a new page in the Red Sox Frankenset! I was pretty happy with how the first page turned out, so hopefully that continues. Since I'm starting a new page, I'm not entirely opposed to choosing cards of players that appeared earlier, but I still have that goal of variety. (It wouldn't be much fun if they were all Roger Clemens and Wade Boggs now, right? Let's see how things stack up this time.


#10


Favorite Card: 1971 Fleer World Series #10 1912 - Giants vs. Red Sox (Hugh Bedient)
My Choice: same

Each of these cards is a solid contender, but I have to pick the World Series card here. It's a great story from a great set. What makes this particular card special is that Bedient was born and raised in Gerry NY - about 20 miles from my hometown! He's a Chautauqua County guy like me! Bonus fact: He's only got 5 official listings on the TCDB, and since this card is the only one of his issued after 1922, I am officially the #1 Hugh Bedient collector on the TCDB (Of course, I share this honor with the 62 other people who have that card listed in their TCDB collection!


I may have to hunt for just one Bedient and take the top spot all for myself! Ha!

#11


Favorite Card: 2018 Stadium Club #11 Tzu-Wei Lin
My Choice: same

As much as I like the Upper Deck Masterpieces, that does not look like Carl Yastrzemski. Clemens is pretty basic, and the Triple Play is well, a Triple Play. Fortunately, I have a great background behind Lin, a bench guy who played 102 games over the course of 5 years. It's a beautiful card, and I always thought it would look great signed.

#12


Favorite Card: 2008 Upper Deck Masterpieces #12 Wade Boggs
My Choice: 1992 Ultra #12 Tom Brunansky

This was a tough choice. I have two  card from the 70's (How weird is it that a Red Sox pitcher got the #12 slot in a Topps set in back-to-back years?), a card from one of my favorite sets growing up, a great Ultra card, and another one of those Masterpieces. (Oh and a Triple Play..it wasn't a tough choice on that card!) I'm sure I'll have plenty of more chances to include Boggs again, so for now I'm going with crisp action shot on the Bruno card.
 
With these selections, Here's how the top line of Page 2 shakes out.


Individually, these are all great cards. I'm not sure how having two horizontal cards next to each other will look when the page is all said and done though. What say you, good readers? Did I make the right choices? What cards would you have picked?

5 comments:

  1. Lester, Clemens, Drago (a two stint Red Sock).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Randy is really good people. I'm glad to hear of him winning something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Laughlin is a great choice. Very cool item. I see a couple photos o' Bedient listed on eBay but I don't think any of them would qualify as cards by TCDB's rules.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. My guess wasn't even close. Congrats rjsahl!

    ReplyDelete