Friday, December 1, 2023

Red Sox Frankenset: Choosing Cards #7-9

There's was very little dissension from the the last row I did, with most of the comments agreeing with my choices. That's a good thing right? Let's see if I can do it again!

#7


Favorite Card: 2001 Sunoco Dream Team #7 Fred Lynn/Jim Rice
My Choice: same

My hope with this Frankenset is that I'll be able to show a little love to the lesser known guys like Morton. He wouldn't be a bad choice here either, especially with that building in the background. I just couldn't pass up an oddball card of the "Gold Dust Twins" though!

#8


Favorite Card: 1991 Fleer - Pro-Visions #8 Mike Greenwell
My Choice: same

The Greenwell Pro-Vision is one of my all-time favorite Red Sox cards, and as much as I like the other two contenders, there is no way I'm not putting this card in the Frankenset.

#9


Favorite Card: 1991 Fleer - Pro-Visions #9 Roger Clemens
My Choice: 1994 Upper Deck Baseball: The American Epic - GM #9 Ted Williams

Good gravy, I have a lot of Roger Clemens cards! As you may have guessed from the previous slot, I have a fondness for those old Fleer Pro-Vision inserts. The Clemens in particular is majestic. A fantastic black and white photo of a young Ted Williams is the obvious choice, however, and I have no regrets putting a legend like him in the 9-hole!
 
With these selections, I have completed the first page of my Frankenset! 


Not bad if I do say so. A nice mix of players for sure. I like how the center column ended up with a greenish hue, and having two horizontal cards doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would. (I think it helps that the cards are in opposite corners, giving it a little symmetry.) My only complaint is an overall lack of action, with 3 guys just standing with the bat on their shoulders.

What say you, good readers? Did I make the right choices with the bottom row? Now that the full page is before you, any changes you would make? (Feel free to review choices #1-3 and #4-6!) Let me know in the comments!

8 comments:

  1. I'd say you did pretty well. I love the idea of the Frankenset. I've considered doing the same with the Orioles. Maybe one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like ho cards, b & w cards, or cards without the player's name on the front. So if we already voted on these, I was probably a dissenter.

    Greenwell wins it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like that Sunoco set. Found a bunch of 'em in a dime box a few years back.

    I''m not as taken with that Pro-Visions insert as most people are, but I certainly wouldn't argue against the choice. On #9 I might have been tempted to go for the Ellis Burks if he weren't already on the page, but you can't go wrong with Ted. So no complaints about any choices here at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks good. I especially like the Coke card.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you on all three of those! Always love seeing a Fleer Pro-Visions card pop up on the blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm late to the party but I would have picked the same three you did as well. Tough to leave out any Pro-Visions cards but I dislike choosing two of the same thing for Frankensets and the Clemens had tougher competition.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It would've been a sin to leave that Greenwell out.

    ReplyDelete