Wednesday, November 29, 2023

Repack Haiku #334 (Jim Rice)

Hero's quick response
Saved child struck in head by ball
Treated in dugout
 
1989 Topps #245 Jim Rice
 
In a 1982 game against the White Sox, a foul ball struck 4-year old Jonathan Keane in the head, briefly rendering him unconscious and bleeding profusely. Rice rushed from the dugout to the boy and took him to the training room, where team medical staff attended the boy. He was on an ambulance to the hospital within 3 minutes, where he had emergency surgery. Rice went on to play the rest of the game in a blood stained jersey, and when asked about it afterwords said: “If it was your kid, what would you do?” 
 
Photo by Ted Garland (Boston Herald)
 
The photograph shows up on my Facebook feed every so often, and it's one of the most powerful images I've ever seen. We regard players highly for what they accomplish on the field, but few can be called heroes. Jim Rice is a hero.

4 comments:

  1. I missed most of Rice's career but that live-saving act really stands out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As much as I follow baseball and know the history of the game, I had never heard this story about Jim Rice before. Thanks for helping me learn something new today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't remember who it was, but someone else posted about this story at some point in the last few months. That was my first time hearing about it.

    ReplyDelete