Friday, September 6, 2024

Junk Wax No Stars

For reasons I will never grasp, I inspired a post from Brendan (The View From The Third Floor), where he created a roster of some of the greatest names to ever appear on junk wax. It's a list filled with Hall of Famers, would-be Hall of Famers, and John Franco.

That got me thinking about the lesser-known names in junk wax history, the solid day to day players who never got their flowers, just multiple copies of their cards in our doubles boxes.

I therefore present to you the Junk Wax No Stars, players from the era who remarkably never made an All-Star team:

Catcher - Rick Dempsey


First Base - Eric Karros

 
Second Base - Bill Doran


Third Base - Jim Gantner

 
Shortstop - John Valentin


Left Field - Tony Phillips


Center Field - Garry Maddox

 
Right Field - Tim Salmon

 
Designated Hitter - Kirk Gibson

 
Starting Rotation:
 
Tom Candiotti

 
Danny Darwin

 
John Tudor


Charlie Leibrandt


John Denny


Bullpen:

Gene Garber


Mike Timlin

 
Mark Eichhorn


Paul Assenmacher


Bench:

Chris Hoiles


Dwayne Murphy


Delino DeShields


Kevin McReynolds


Bernard Gilkey

 
Todd Ziele

 
Matt Stairs

 
Not a bad lineup. Better than this year's White Sox!

4 comments:

  1. That's quite a good team. I knew about Gibson, he seems to be the poster child for never-an-all-star, but I didn't know about the others.

    The late 80s seem unique to me in that most of the best and most popular players at the time won't make it to the Hall. Mattingly, Strawberry, Canseco, Gooden, Eric Davis, Dale Murphy, Gooden, Hershiser, Saberhagen, etc. Might be interesting to pit a team of the best players of the era in the Hall, vs. those without. Maybe I'll do that for a future post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As an A's fan... I appreciate the inclusion of Dwayne Murphy and Tony Phillips. Murphy was one of my favorite players back in the early 80's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tony Phillips is insanely underrated. He has over 50 WAR!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If Brendan needed someone to "beef" with, he should've chose me, as I could go the rest of my life without seeing another card from most of these sets. And if that's not enough fuel, I've actually developed a genuine hate for a number of sets from the "junk wax" era in recent years.

    ReplyDelete