Monday, September 2, 2024

Red Sox Frankenset: Choosing Cards #16-18

Happy Labor Day! I hope everyone is enjoying a peaceful relaxing day! It's about time I finished off Page 2 of my Red Sox Frankenset, so let's pick 3 more worthy entrants for the third and final row!

#16


Favorite Card: 1988 Donruss #16 Dwight Evans (DK)
My Choice: same

Dewey is an easy choice for me here. He's the only one of the three who hasn't been represented yet, plus has that radical 80's Diamond King artwork. Long live the 'stache!

#17


Favorite Card: 1986 Donruss Highlights #17 Roger Clemens
My Choice: same

Well, this is rather anticlimactic. I only have one double for spot #17. Although I do appreciate a card honoring Roger winning his first 14 decisions in 1986, that '86 Donruss design is not among my favorites, especially when given the golden yellow treatment.

#18


Favorite Card: 1990 Topps #18 Carlos Quintana
My Choice: same

Oh look! Another 1986 Donruss Highlights card of Roger Clemens! Happily I can add Carlos Quintana to the Frankenset. I'll always remember him as a good not great first baseman for those Boston teams, who unfortunately was never the same after a car accident.
 
With these selections, Here's how the bottom line of Page 2 shakes out:


That's....um...quite the color palette represented in this row! I can't say this is my favorite row of cards, but despite the limited choices I think we have some solid player representation here.
 
With these selections, I have completed the second page of my Frankenset! 


I easily like the first page better, but this isn't too bad. In retrospect I find it funny that I didn't select any Hall of Famers on this page (although strong arguments can be made for Evans and Clemens!) A little more action than the previous page, and I like the fact that I have cards from 5 different decades represented here. All in all, a good page.

What say you, good readers? Did I make the right choices with the bottom row? Now that the full page is before you, any changes you would make? (Feel free to review choices #10-12 and #13-15!) Let me know in the comments!

3 comments:

  1. Lots of Clemens cards to choose from. I'd probably pick the Bogaerts Bowman over the DK Dewey, but that's just because i've had enough '88 Donruss for several lifetimes.

    The Tzu-Wei Lin Stadium Club is my favorite so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Based on the option you currently have... I'd go with the three you picked.

    ReplyDelete