Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Top 3: Roy Halladay

Like most baseball fans, I am saddened by the news of the tragic accident that claimed the life of former pitcher Roy Halladay. With the majority of his career as a member of the Blue Jays, he was a constant thorn in the side of the Boston Red Sox. I hated when my team had to face him! He commanded respect, however, and you knew you were watching one of the greats of the game.

Here are the Top 3 Roy Halladay cards in my collection:

 2012 Panini Triple Play #62


My initial plan was to do a Top 5 of cards I own. Unfortunately, Halladay pitched when I was not actively collecting. My choices were not the best. According to the TCDB, I actually have 7 cards featuring Halladay, but 1 is a League leaders cards he shares with 3 other players, one is a 2012 Topps Golden Giveaway Code card, and 3 come from the dreaded 2012 Panini Triple Play set (2 of them being *gag* puzzle cards). That leaves 2 decent cards, plus this one. Not the best representation for a player tribute.

2017 Topps Update - Untouchables #U-5


Fortunately, I happened to pick up this card recently with a pack of 2017 Topps Update I bought. Twenty career shutouts, including two no-hitters - yeah, that's the definition of untouchable.

2014 Topps #565


2014 Topps #565 Roy Halladay (back)

The lone base card I have of "Doc". Fittingly, it's his sunset card. If Topps wants to know why incomplete career stats are a bad thing, all they have to do is look at the sunset card of an All-time great. Wow, what a career!

Hopefully by the time he is inducted into the Hall of Fame, I'll acquire some more cards and do a proper Top 5. (I keep hearing he'll be on the 2019 ballot, but don't they make exceptions when a player dies before his 5 year waiting period is up? I thought they did that with Kirby Puckett.)

R.I.P. Roy Halladay.

1 comment:

  1. So sad to hear of his passing. If anyone ever questions if he's HOF worthy, look at the back of his card. Lots of red ink there for leading the League

    ReplyDelete