Monday, November 6, 2023

Down The Ebay Rabbit Hole #3 - Top Sox Target Acquired

 
Continuing my ongoing adventures with a soon-to-be-expiring prepaid card...

Last time, I told you of one card in particular I wanted to target in my quest to use up what was essentially free money. I had another card in mind as well, just not one for set completion purposes.

A couple of years ago, I decided that one of the foci of my collection was going to collect at the very minimum, all of the Red Sox cards from the Topps base set from my birth year (1975) onward. I created a new blog page, Missing Sox, and started to track what cards I needed (as well as provide a list for potential trade partners). At the end of the page I even included a Top 10 list, with the most wanted of the wanted could be highlighted. Atop that list was I figured would be probably the most valuable card among the ones I don't have. That is, until recently:
 
 
In 48+ years of Topps base sets, there have been only 2 Red Sox cards that happen to be the rookie card of  a Hall of Fame player. I already had Jim Rice's 1975 card, and now I have the Topps rookie card of Wade Boggs. It may be off-center, but it was well within my price range!

Interesting Fact: According to the TCDB, this is the 70th rookie card of a Hall of Fame player I own, with Boggs being the 30th different Hall of Famer that I own at least 1 rookie card of.

2 comments:

  1. I've said it more than a few times over the years in peoples comment sections, but I never notice a card being off-center until I see someone mention it. I don't know if that's some sort of brain glitch on my part, or if it's because I just really don't care about such things. Either way though, your card is really nice, and I'm glad that you were finally able to get a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must get the Ted Williams next :) (that is if it's not already in your collection).

    ReplyDelete