Friday, June 30, 2023

Trapped In Time: Remnants Of The 36th And 37th Trades

 
A two-for-one special today! I figured I try this out (1) to keep things moving along and try to wrangle in a collection of cards that is growing larger than I could have imagined, and (2) the card in the second trade isn't going anywhere, and I didn't want to waste a whole post on just that card. You'll see what I mean.
 
Traded 05/28/19: 1976 Topps #230 Carl Yastrzemski, 1996 Upper Deck #202 Alex Rodriguez, 1998 Score #18 Rickey Henderson, 2001 Upper Deck - e-Card (golf) #E-TW Tiger Woods, 2017 Topps #380 Albert Pujols

Received 05/28/19:
  • 1974 Topps #141 Pat Bourque (See Trade #132)
  • 1974 Topps #158 Jack Billingham
  • 1974 Topps #227 Mike Lum (See Trade #151)
  • 1974 Topps #349 John Vukovich
  • 1974 Topps #372 Ken Reitz (See Trade #57)
I remember this trade as a learning experience on how the parameters of the project could lead to potential windfall for my trade partners. Look at all those big names I traded away! In return, I got what I asked for, an older card in return, but the star power was definitely lessened with this trade. Fortunately, this is an outlier, and an issue I never ran into enough for it to be a problem.
 

If you're experiencing any deja vu from looking at the above cards, there's a good reason. It was only two months ago that I had a 1974 Topps Jack Billingham on the chopping block. That copy didn't move, and barring any new trade partners, I think it's twin will see the same fate.

On to our second trade!
 
Trade #37 Jason U. (TCDB)
Traded 07/12/19: 1957 Topps #66 Brooks Lawrence

Received 07/13/19: 
  • 1922 Church & Dwight Useful Birds of America Third Series (J7) #7 Prothonotary Warbler
 
Last time I offered up a little birdie from pre-WWII, I surmised that I would have a slim chance of finding someone willing to give up an older card for it. Here we are again with another one, this one a good 16 years older than the previous one. Rather than save this one for next month, I decided to just get this over with and post here and now.
 

It's a cool little card. I'm amazed at how sharp the colors remain after over 100 years. Still, unless there's a card older than 1922 that someone is willing to give up for it, it'll remain in the stack in perpetuity. (I've already decided any pre-WWII cards will not be pulled from the Time Travel stack, as they are just a great reminder of how far this project has reached.) 

As a funny aside, if you check out the post where I originally showed off this card, I mused if I would ever get a card 100 years old (I have 4 now!) and stated that I couldn't see the Time Travel Project lasting another three years to have this card, which was the oldest one I had at the time, become one. Just goes to show you never really know!

Last call on two baseball cards, and a not-so-desperate plea for someone to take this bird card off my hands! All it takes is an older card than what I'm giving up!

1 comment:

  1. The image for Jack Billingham is really neat, but I would imagine that most of the people who would want it, already have a copy. It's too bad about the warbler too, as it is a nice looking card, but there aren't many folks around who still collect those old bird sets these days.

    ReplyDelete