Monday, June 5, 2023

Programmed To Receive

You can checkout any time you like, but you can never leave! (*cue guitar solo)
 
I went to college majoring in computer science. I learned a variety of computer languages, wrote numerous scripts, and created what kids nowadays would call "apps". I hated it. It was tedious, boring, and few things will frustrate you as much as spending hours staring at thousands of lines of code looking for one single mistyped character that prevents your whole script from executing properly.

Needless to say, I can only give my respect to anyone who does it, especially those that do it out of their own sense of moxie. Kevin (The Diamond King) wanted a database that would fill his personal needs as a collector, and decided to make his own. He put together a database that does what he wanted, created a short little video tour, and invited his readers to check it out.

He did a great job, and you can tell it'll only get better as he tweaks it and adds to it. With my programming background, I felt compelled to offer my support and commented what insight I could.

As a thank you, Kevin held a little giveaway for those who commented, and I ended up with some cards:

 
The cards he offered were fantastic, and it was tough to whittle my choices down to these six. Of course, I had to pick up Red Sox cards, especially when they are serial numbered or feature Hall of Famers. I also picked up two more Laughlin World Series cards, which combined with the ones I got from another recent Diamond King giveaway, strengthen that internal pull to finish at least one of the sets.

Thanks for the cards, Kevin!

3 comments:

  1. Great selections. How did I miss those Laughlin? Maybe they were already gone.

    I started out in college as a computer science major. Really hated it. Failed a class for the first time in my academic life and didn't even care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was little, my dad built us an Apple IIe... and he bought me a few programming books. I thought I'd grow up in his footsteps and work with computers... but my interest waned. But my interest for that 2001 Topps Combos set hasn't. I've been thinking about building that set for years. I know it's one of those sets that you either love or hate. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had an uncle (by marriage) who worked for Intel way back when. I think he tried to get me into computers fairly early on by giving me an old Commodore 64, but it didn't work. For whatever reason, me and computers have just never been simpatico.

    ReplyDelete