Monday, May 15, 2023

Enjoying A Card Show By Proxy

I'm guessing I haven't been to a card show in about 30 years.

It was probably 1992. I was starting my senior year in high school, and as often happens around that time in a young person's life, more important things take the place of beloved hobbies. That was around the time I stopped actively collecting baseball cards, a passion that stayed dormant until late 2015/early 2016, when I rediscovered these beautiful pieces of cardboard once again.

In this "second age" of collecting, I don't have nearly as much disposable income as I did in my youth (stupid rent/groceries/bills/adulting...). Plus I now currently live in an area that is pretty devoid of the hobby. There's apparently a hobby shop over the mountain that I've never visited, and the nearest card shows seem to all be in northern Virginia, which is a detriment in itself because I loathe driving to northern Virginia, due to roughly a dozen lanes of traffic filled with aggressive drivers. It's just not worth the 2 1/2-3 hour drive to dig through boxes of cheap cards. So, it's been awhile since I've enjoyed a good old fashioned card show.

Kevin (The Diamond King) recently announced that he was going to attend an upcoming card show, and threw out a little contest where the winner would get to use Kevin as their own little personal dime box buyer. As luck would have it, I won! So while I didn't get to peruse the boxes personally, I did get to ultimately feel that rush of discovering previously unknown cards now in my hands.

Part of Kevin's contest required listing what he should be on the hunt for. I'm a man easy to please, and could of just listed Red Sox cards, but I saw an opportunity to have some fun and be a little more selective. Although I did say any Red Sox cards would do, I picked out Pedro Martinez as a player of particular interest. Pedro played during that time when I wasn't collecting, so chances are high that any cards I got from the show would be ones I didn't have. I also picked three niche sets that I'm not actively trying to complete, but enjoy enough that I'll pick up cards here or there when I can.

I got my cards from Kevin last week, and as far as I'm concerned, he knocked it out of the park! Let's start with the Pedro cards he found:
 

Those are some sweet Pedros there, Kevin! I have the Topps base of the Divisional Highlight card, and  I'm glad to have the Chrome version too. (Pedro with his arm raised in victory is such a great shot!) The rest are welcome additions as well. Since I said any Red Sox cards really would be of interest, I also got a healthy dose of other players too.
 

Lots and lots of shiny cards, including a quartet of superstar Rafael Devers. The Martinez, Eovaldi, and Bradley are all serial numbered. That blue refractor from the 2021 Topps Chrome Platinum Anniversary set is probably my favorite of the bunch.
 
Finally the niche cards. Kevin was able to find a trio of cards from one of the brands I was looking for, Fleer Laughlin World Series cards. 
 
 
I've always loved these cards, and was happy to see theses in the envelope. Even though I already had the two Red Sox cards, they are upgrades from what I have, so still a big win. I really do need to pick up a few more of these (in particular the 1971 set - I'm only 24 cards short of finishing that one!)

Thank you so much Kevin for allowing me to share in the fruits of your card show efforts!

8 comments:

  1. I'm the opposite, I live in an area where the hobby is so big it seems hardly worth it to go to a card show where all the prices will be jacked up. Haven't been to one in over 20 years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems like there's a show every weekend around here, which is both good and bad (for the wallet). It looks like Kevin did a nice job picking out some cards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a cool prize and a good idea for a contest. I have shows around me, but haven't been since 2008 or 2009. For some reason, I am just not interested in attending them these days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The tales here of going without a card show in 15, 20, 30 years is mind-boggling. Sure, there's the internet, but there's nothing like shopping for yourself in person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Personally it's hard to imagine going one year without a card show, much less 30! There's a lot of options to buy cards these days, but nothing quite matches a card show.

    Looks like Kevin did some nice proxy shopping! Always love seeing those Laughlins show up on the blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have skipped a few card shows over the years because of traffic... but have also driven a couple of hours to spend the day at one as well. I guess for me it has to do with my mood and company. It's been a few months since I've gone to a show, but I'm going to predict it won't take me 30 years to attend my next. Hopefully I'll get to one in the next year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That first Laughlin is a neat one story-wise. For a show that he said wasn't very good, Kevin seems to have done all right by you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you got them! I was hoping for some scary great finds, but no such luck. Hope you enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete