Friday, January 5, 2024

A Gift From Santa Oren

I see it so often in our little niche of the world, time and time again. From extra cards thrown in trades to blog contests to unexpected mailing, our community of card collectors has proven to be a collective of generous people. Yet, when such graces fall unto me, I can't help but feel humbled and overwhelmed. I feel unworthy of such gifts, and it touches me when others deem me so.

Such was the case with longtime collector and blog reader Oren, who as many of you know is among the most generous people out there. He surprised me with package of cards last month, and it was nothing short of amazing. 

Despite there being a lot of great cards, there were, to me, 10 big highlights:

10. 2023 Topps Update - Red Foil #US119 James Paxton (SN199)

 
Beautifully shiny and red. There's speculation that there is mutual interest in Paxton rejoining the Red Sox. I wouldn't be opposed to it assuming he's not the biggest starting pitcher they acquire this off-season.

9. 1997 Bowman - Certified Autographs Blue Ink #CA60 Carl Pavano (AU)

 
Ah, Carl Pavano! The centerpiece of the trade that brought Pedro Martinez from Montreal to Boston!

8. 1996 Leaf Signature Series - Extended Series Autographs #NNO Mike Maddux (AU, PR5000)

 
OK, so it's not his more famous brother Greg. Still cool though.

7. 2004 UD Rivals - What If #WI-4 Babe Ruth (SN2150)

 
I never realized Peter Gammons was featured on a card like this before. I always enjoyed his writing.
 

6. 2021 Topps Chrome Platinum Anniversary cards

 
I know a lot of people don't like them, and in truth it's not a set I'd spend my money on, but I do appreciate the Red Sox that have shown up in my possession, especially that Pedro parallel.
 

5. 2020 Topps Archives - Fan Favorites Autographs #FFA-RGE Rich Gedman (AU)

 
The Red Sox have a history of good catchers, and a lot of people forget Gedman was a 2-time All-Star

4. 2001 Topps Traded & Rookies - Relics #TTR-HR Hideo Nomo (MEM)

 
I remember watching his first start as a member of the Red Sox, a no-hitter against the Orioles. He also led the league in strikeouts that year, his only in Boston.
 

3. 2005 Topps Updates & Highlights - All-Star Stitches #ASR-JD Johnny Damon (MEM) 

 
My first All-Star Game relic. Damon made the All-Star team in his first and last seasons in Boston (2002, 2005).

2. 1999 Sports Illustrated Greats of the Game - Autographs #NNO Rico Petrocelli (AU) 

 
A member of the 1967 "Impossible Dream" team, he set the record for most home runs by a shortstop (40 - since broken) in 1969. Arguably the greatest shortstop in Red Sox history.

1. 1999 SP Signature Edition - Autographs #JV Jason Varitek (AU)

 
The last man to be named Captain of the Boston Red Sox, he led the team to 2 World Championships.

Awesome cards all-around. Thanks so much Oren!

7 comments:

  1. Oren dropped a few Braves on me recently. I am sending him some soccer cards next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oren is great! One of my best trader buddies. He finds such cool stuff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of nice goodies here. Had no idea that Nomo tossed a no-hitter in his first start with the Red Sox... and he ended up leading the league in strikeouts that season. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw a Red Ice parallel at #10 and thought there must be some fantastic cards ahead of it. Oren definitely came through. The Nomo relic and Ortiz refractor are very cool but the autographs are particularly impressive. Maddux, Gedman...Varitek!?!? Wow!

    p.s. I didn't know Gedman was a 2x All-Star, or that Mike Maddux pitched for the Red Sox.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice group of cards. That Gedman is a great looking card!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You must've been really good last year :)

    ReplyDelete