Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Top 5 Hall of Fame: Jim Thome


Next Sunday, the Hall of Fame will induct an amazing 6 new members into its hallowed halls. In honor of this event, I'm going to do a daily series this week showing off my 5 favorite cards in my collection for each player.

I continue today with my week long tribute to this year's Hall of Fame class. Today I'll list my Top 5 cards of slugger Jim Thome.

1991 Bowman #68 Jim Thome (RC)


This is my third straigh rookie card! if I had a dedicated collection to Hall of Fame players' rookie cards, I'd be quite happy! I'll be honest, I never thought of Thome as a Hall of Fame player early in his career. Once he started approaching 500 home runs, I had to take a closer look at his resume. The man was consistent, and often it's easy to overlook that.

1992 Pinnacle - Team 2000 #37 Jim Thome


The Pinnacle Team 2000 set was such a cool little set. This picture is great! I love the look of concentration on his face, the crouched stance, even the stray lace protruding from his glove!

1992 Upper Deck #5 Jim Thome (SR)


This card cracks me up. He looks like a high school jock posing for a yearbook photo in his letter-man jacket! "Stay cool! Have a great summer! Keep in touch!" - Jim
 

2001 Upper Deck Victory #82 Jim Thome


Jim sees you. He see what you're doing, and it's worthy of recognition.

2012 Topps - Golden Moments #GM-44 Jim Thome


The Golden Moments insert set from 2012 Topps was fantastic! I love the short recaps of the games mentioned. "The excited slugger fired his helmet so high when he reached home that the umpire had to backpedal to avoid it."

Welcome to the Hall, Jim!

(Be sure to check out the special Jim Thome haiku I posted earlier today!)

1 comment: