Friday, March 15, 2024

I Feel Guilty (An LCS Adventure)

Did you ever have a card call out to you? You're digging through a box, pulling cards to buy, and find one that catches your eye? One that you didn't know why you wanted it, wasn't a card you came in targeting, and yet without giving it a second thought, you put it in the stack you were accumulating?
 
Last month, I posted about a local sports cards and collectables shop that opened up near where I work. I finally got to make another trip there. After taking a quick glance to see if he had started stocking any packs of new product (he hadn't), I made my way over to where his cards were. The owner himself was there at his fold out table, sorting cards. After inquiring about what I collect, he shows me where some of the cards were that I might be interested in. As I was on my lunch break, I didn't have much time, but I pulled down a mega box of cards with cards from the 60's and 70's. I start looking for Red Sox cards, and he says most cards are 20 cents for commons, 50 cents for stars. Right in my budget wheelhouse! As I'm flipping through cards, I had a chance to chat with the owner. We talked about various things like the Griffey/Edgar/Johnson -era Mariners, the Hall of Fame, even some football (He's a Dolphins fan). I found a small stack of about 19 cards and handed it to him. After looking through, he suggested $4, which was fine by me!

I was able to put a small dent in my Missing Sox list, which I had handy on my phone while I was looking through. I was able to knock down my Red Sox needs from the 1975 and 1979 sets into single digits.
 
 
I didn't realize I picked up two Fred Lynns until after I had left, but that's not a big deal. I was particularly excited to nab the two Red Sox featured on the 1975 MVP subset.

For cards before 1975, I just grabbed whatever Red Sox there were and hoped that I would need them.
 
 
I did pretty well there, with the Pattin as the only card I already had. I would have probably paid $4 just for those two 1968 cards!

As for that card that called to me? As I said, I wasn't a card I was looking for. Now this box had some stars in it, some mid to low tier Hall of Famers and such. I came across one, and although it wasn't a Red Sox card, it caught my attention. I wasn't sure why. It was obviously a card I had seen on the blogs before, I knew in my heart I didn't have it, and something inside told me to buy it. I don't think the owner gave it a second look as he thumbed through my stack. It wasn't until I went to update my collection on the TCDB that I realized exactly what I had.
 
 
Hall of Fame pitcher Bert Blyleven's rookie card! A quick lookup online showed the card regularly going for $10+! I kind of feel a little guilty now. I want this guy to be successful and stick around. His business card says he's got over 40 years of collecting experience, and over 20 years of e-commerce experience, so I have to think this isn't something that normally slips by him. Yet he obviously saw it and made his offer regardless. The angel on my shoulder wants to go back, tell him he dropped the ball, and hand him more money. The devil on my shoulder is betting there are probably some high-series cards in that vintage box. I guess I'll chalk this one up as a lucky day for me. In future if a card calls out like that again, I'm going to have to hop online and find out why...gotta be good to your card dealers!

9 comments:

  1. Classic mid-to-late '70s Red Sox from my childhood collecting days! ... That Blyleven is relatively easy to get despite it being an HOF rookie, I've seen it priced way cheaper than $10 bucks a number of times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't feel guilty, I've picked that card up before out of a dime box without creasing. Quarter boxes too. The cardboard was calling to you for a reason be happy man, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like condition is a factor for several of those cards including the Blylevens. That is probably a factor in his prices.

    That is a great pickup even in that condition, however, and sounds like great prices on those cards. I'd sure love to go through a box like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The card store that's closest to me is winding down on baseball cards and going more into Pokemon and stuff, which makes me sad.

    That Blyleven was quite the find. I would consider it a lucky day, and may just go back to see what other steals I could find. I guess I'm nearly as innocent as you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As others have said, pre-boom one could find Bert in the dollar and under boxes at just about any show. There's no need to feel guilty, this guy knew what he had, and probably just didn't care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You got a good deal. But the iffy corners bring down the value a bit.
    The best solution is to go back and buy more cards.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice find. I personally wouldn't feel too guilty. Like you said, he saw the card and gave you a price.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always been surprised that Blyleven rookie doesn't sell for more than it does. I think my copy was around $5. (Not that I'm complaining, of course!)

    ReplyDelete