Tuesday, May 2, 2017

30 Day Challenge: Day 4


Courtesy of Off Hiatus Baseball Cards

Day 4: A Rookie Card Of One Of Your Favorite Players

In my last post, I mentioned that I group my card collecting years in terms of eras. The Second Era started in the late eighties. In middle school, I started getting into baseball again. Most people in the area were either Yankees or Indians fans, but I wanted to go in a different route. At that time, there was a pitcher dominating the league. Every time I looked at the newspaper, his box score stood out.

1985 Leaf/Donruss #99 Roger Clemens
Roger Clemens quickly became my favorite player, and by association, the Red Sox became my favorite team. One of the highlights of my young collection was not one, not two, but three different rookie cards of "The Rocket". Of the three, this one is probably my favorite. I think it's because the border reminded me of the van from the A-Team.

I pity the fool who doesn't like black with red stripes!

2 comments:

  1. I too have always been partial to the design of '85 Donruss/Leaf. No need to pity this fool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been impressed with the recent unlicensed Donruss stuff, but if they ever use the 1985 design as part of their throwback inserts I might have to buy some.

    ReplyDelete