Thursday, May 4, 2017

30 Day Challenge: Day 6

Courtesy of Off Hiatus Baseball Cards

Day 6: A Card You Spent More Than $10 To Get

I haven't been to a card show in over 20 years. The same goes for purchasing individual cards online. For this challenge, I can only speculate, because to be honest, I don't recall spending significant money on any one card. I'm fairly positive this card qualifies:

1980 Topps #482 Rickey Henderson (RC)
When I was young, I didn't know well enough about the hobby. I collected for fun, and I collected what I liked. When I would trade with friends, we didn't know the value of a rookie card. If a friend was trading for a player, I usually wanted to trade the older of whatever card I had. This was the case for Rickey. I traded away his rookie card (Again, I didn't know it was even his rookie card) because I preferred to keep his 1981 Topps card.

When I started collecting again in Middle School, I was more informed. I saw what that card was going for, and knew I at one time possessed it. I remember being at a card show, and finding one at a reasonable price. The rookie card was once again a part of my collection, and all was right with the world again.

2 comments:

  1. I too had problems remembering a card to use for this prompt, but that had more to do with the fact that I'm a cheapskate than anything.

    I bet we collector's all probably have a tale or two similar to your Rickey blunder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm definitely in that cheapskate circle myself!

      Delete