Saturday, April 29, 2017

30 Day Challenge: Day 2

Courtesy of Off Hiatus Baseball Cards

Day 2: A Card With More Than One Player On It

When I was a kid, there was a card that I was certain was going to be among the most valuable in my collection. The rookie card of a Hall of Famer was an awesome card to have, but like a lot of people, I was convinced this rookie card would have two future Hall of Famers on it, and how cool would that be?

1978 Topps #707 Rookie Shortstops

History proved me wrong...for now. Now that I'm older, the value of this card doesn't meant much to me. However, I still believe strongly that Alan Trammell deserves to be enshrined with the greats of the game. He wasn't the defensive wizard that Ozzie Smith was, and he didn't redefine the shortstop position as a power position like Cal Ripken, but he has the credentials nonetheless. A World Series MVP and 6 time All-Star, he was one of the baseball superstars of the 80's, an era the Hall of Fame voters has strangely ignored. Here's hoping one day he can make it in via the Veterans Committee.


No comments:

Post a Comment