Wednesday, September 23, 2026

Repack Haiku #479 (Ed Whitson)

Fought Billy Martin
Both kept hotel fight going
Broke manager's arm
 
1989 Fleer #321 Ed Whitson

Whitson and Martin got into a hotel brawl that stated in a hotel bar, progressed to the lobby and eventually out in the street. Despite breaking his manager's arm and giving him a bloody nose, Whitson was not punished for the incident. I'm guessing the fact Billy Martin got into a previous bar fight the night before may have had something to do with that...
 
 
Also, I usually try to randomize these haikus, but I can't help but be amused that the last 3 players featured all pitched for the 1984 NL Champion Sand Diego Padres.

2 comments:

  1. An infamous moment in Yankee history. That '85 team could have been special, but fell just a little short.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That SI article was an interesting read. And Billy was an interesting manager.

    ReplyDelete