Thursday, September 9, 2021

Top 5 Hall Of Fame: Larry Walker

I'm not going to lie, the Hall of Fame induction ceremony snuck up on me. I guess that can be expected when the 2020 ceremonies get postponed due to Covid-19, then no new inductees get elected this year, and the 2020 inductees finally get their time to shine not in July but September. Here's hoping next year returns to normal. In the past, I've honored each new Hall of Famer with a Top 5 list of favorite cards in my collection. We'll kick things off with only the second Canadian to be elected. I present to you my 5 favorite cards of Larry Walker (in chronological order):
 

1990 Bowman #117


In a rare collecting occurrence, I can boast having 5 different Larry Walker rookie cards in my collection (Bowman, Donruss, Fleer, Score, and Topps). The Bowman is my favorite of the bunch, mainly due to his 80's-style "Don't-confuse-me-for-Glenn-Davis" whisper of a mustache.
 

1993 SP #107 


Moises Alou is one of many outfielders who had to learn that if a 7-time Gold Glove winner says "I got it!", then you let him get it!
 

1994 Collector's Choice #286


I don't care if it's staged, it's still a fun shot and a great angle.
 

1995 Topps #422 

 
Hmmm...I wonder if this card was the inspiration for another well known card featuring a Montreal hall of Famer?

1997 Collector's Choice #98 

 
It's always fun to have cards of baseball players using non-baseball equipment. I wonder how his picture came out, especially since it looks like he's facing the sun...

Welcome to the Hall of Fame, Mr. Walker!

3 comments:

  1. I have the last one.

    The '93 SP wins it though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've gotta dig through my Expos boxes to see if I have that 1995 Topps card. I was wondering if Topps had any other Expos with that pose in 1996 or 1997... so I looked it up on COMC and found nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He seems to have a lot more interesting cards than I would've thought.

    ReplyDelete