Friday, November 5, 2021

Top 3 Tribute: Jerry Remy

I wanted to take a moment to honor a Red Sox icon. Remy passed away last week after a long battle with cancer. As a former player and broadcaster, he was beloved by Red Sox fans, even being "elected" as the President of Red Sox Nation. Personally, I was able to listen to him call games through by MLB subscription, and he was a joy to listen to. He was often insightful, witty, and unlike a lot of broadcasters he actually added to the overall enjoyment of the game. I present to you my 3 favorite Jerry Remy cards that I own:

1978 Topps #478

 
Even though he's depicted as an Angel on this card, the 1978 season was his first as a member of the Red Sox. He endeared himself to the Fenway Faithful immediately, making the All-Star team for the only time in his career.

1981 Topps #549

 
Last year, or maybe the year before, I remember watching a game on TV and listening to Jerry and his broadcast partner Dave O'Brien talk about this card and how funny it was. Remy obviously was not expecting to have his picture taken here!

1985 Topps #761

 
The "RemDawg" retired in 1986 after missing the 1985 season due to injury, essentially making this his sunset card. Afterwards, he went on to become an award winning broadcaster and member of the Red Sox Hall of Fame.

I also highly recommend his book Watching Baseball: Discovering The Game Within The Game. It's a very insightful book and you'll enjoy it if you enjoy the nuances of the game as it's being played.
 

RIP Jerry Remy - you will be missed!

2 comments:

  1. His passing hurts. It'll be hard to watch a broadcast and not hear him calling it. I know Eck can do his thing and there have been many guest commentators during the time he needed to step, but it's jut not the same. Whether it was Orsillo or O'Brien, he brought the humility, insight and love that is so needed. My 2 favorite tend to be 83T and 84T. One shoes sucks a funky swing that brings back his slap and dash style. The other brings to life a rip down the line for 3. RIP RemDawg; hopefully you are calling a game at the Field of Dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was looking at his cards over on COMC to see if any stood out from my childhood. None of them really did... but I did discover that Topps really hooked him up with some great action shots in the 80's.

    Rest in peace Mr. Remy.

    ReplyDelete