Wednesday, July 24, 2024

Repack Haiku #368 (Mike Greenwell)

"Where's my M.V.P.?"
Runner up felt cheated by
Canseco's steroids
 
1989 Topps #630 Mike Greenwell

 
When Canseco's book "Juiced" came out, Greenwell was arguably upset. Greenwell placed 2nd in the 1988 MVP Award after Canseco posted the first 40/40 season in MLB history. “Nobody remembers who finishes second,” said Greenwell. “It cost me my legacy. There’s only so many guys who can walk around saying ‘I’m an American League MVP.’ It bothered me to lose to a guy who was using steroids.”

6 comments:

  1. Now running for re-election for a county commissioner role in Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really sucks that a blatant cheater robbed Greenwell of the MVP award. Matt Kemp can relate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if Puckett and his fans would have been upset if Greenwell won. He had an awesome year at the plate in 1988... and won a GG Award.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Puckett was a strong contender for sure! I had to look on baseball-reference, but he beat Greenwell in most counting stats (although in 67 more at-bats). The person who was most overlooked though was 6th place finisher Wade Boggs, who led the league in the then-unknown WAR stat that year!

      Delete
  4. came here to say the same thing about matt kemp that chris shared!

    ReplyDelete