Monday, January 3, 2022

My Lucky Set

Are there any sets you consider lucky? A set you await every year just because you seem to always do well when you open it up? 
 
For me, that set is Topps Archives.  The itch to return to collecting hit me in 2015, and by 2016 I was buying cards regularly at my local Wally World. Archives was a set I was drawn to, mainly because of the old designs reminded me of my collecting days of youth. After initially buying a few packs, I bought my first hanger box and was gifted with my first hit:
 
 
Two weeks later, I bought another hanger box. To my surprise, that one scored yet another autograph:
 
 
Getting an autograph in a box from a Wal-Mart in the middle of Virginia was one thing, but scoring two from the same Wal-Mart in the span of a few weeks was just insane. Unfortunately, my streak stopped at two, and even though I would continue to buy hanger boxes when they were available (which is very hit-or-miss around here) I didn't get any more hits...

...until the release of 2019 Topps Archives, that is! The luck came back briefly as I acquired my 3rd Archives hit:


I can't say for certain, but that may have been the last hanger box I bought before the whole pandemic/card hoarding madness reared it ugly head.
 
Between the 2016 Perez and the 2019 Gruber, I guesstimate that I've bought maybe 6 hanger boxes of Topps Archives. That would mean I have had a 50% success rate on pulling an autograph from a box of Archives purchased at my local Wally World. That's crazy!

Flash forward to last month. To my surprise, my store had an abundance of cards on the shelves, including one lone box of this year's Archive release. Of course I snatched it up. Would my luck continue? 
 
 
Yeah, Archives is a lucky set for me...

8 comments:

  1. Great pulls! Nice looking cards, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Archives certainly is a lucky set for you. I'm impressed. Nowadays, I mainly collect Topps flagship and Heritage (jumbo or Hobby boxes). I never considered either to be lucky for me but I have pulled my share of seriously great hits from both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have do or did have a lucky Walmart back home. There are literally 8 Walmarts within an hour from my house, but the one closest less than 2 miles away, I always seem to do well with the boxes I bought from there. I don't really buy much retail boxes anymore, but who knows once I get back home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome, actual decent players rather than the rookie of the month. Congrats, I wish I were as lucky as you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't Archives know for producing hits more frequently? I could be wrong about that.

    I have no lucky sets.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's really cool! I don't think I have any lucky sets that I know of, but I feel like the retail products I do best with are hanger boxes, if that counts for anything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No luck here. I've pulled hits from blasters, but not from any specific product. Congratulations though. Archives is one of my favorite products, because of their on-card Fan Favorites autographs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1998-99 Skybox Premium (basketball) was very good to me way back when. There's been nothing even close since.

    ReplyDelete