Friday, March 20, 2020

Payday Pack - The Latest Gimmick

I can't help it. Sometimes I'm a sucker for gimmicks. The latest by Topps are these nifty little tins with different MLB superstars on top. I, of course, had to grab the Red Sox one (even though Mookie is no longer with the team - yep, still hurts to type that!). Each tin comes with 75 card, including some chrome insert cards.


As I was sorting through the cards trying to pick a top 3, I realized something - the catchers' cards are incredible this year! I have already spotlighted Yasami Grandal's fantastic card (which I have pulled yet another - arg!), but he isn't by far the only one. I decided for this edition of Payday pack to highlight those glorious catcher photos!

3rd Place

2020 Topps #317 Sean Murphy (RC)

Here's an example of when a photo breaking through the card border really makes the card "pop"!

2nd Place

2020 Topps #80 Ausin Barnes

Catchers have a stereotype of not being the swiftest of ball players, but you get a sense of speed as Barnes tries to tag some mysterious runner out.

1st Place

2020 Topps #318 Omar Narvaez

Passed balls/balls in the dirt may not be the most glamorous task a catcher could have, but how could you not love this card? Mask and ball both airborne, the pure focus on Narvaez's face - it's one of the best photos in this year's set!

Other Contestants Not Appearing On Stage:
#250 Bryce Harper
#184 Michael Givens
#29 Starlin Castro
#249 Jordan Yamamoto (RC)
#13 Miles Mikolas
#182 Vladimir Guerrero Jr (ASR)
#67 Tyler Beede
#131 Ketel Marte
#244 Chris Paddack (FS)
#52 Yasmani Grandal
#291 Tyler Naquin
#175 Lucas Giolito
#207 Zac Gallen (RC)
#169 Jacob Waguespack (RC)
#19 Angels (TC)
#298 Hollywood Heroes (CL)
#72 Big Air, Big Hair (CL)
#342 Taylor Rogers
#100 Alex Bregman
#191 Jeremy Jeffries
#272 Carlos Santana
#276 Yordan Alvarez (ASR, RC)
#118 Clayton Kershaw
#179 Ramon Laureano (FS)
#171 Kole Calhoun
#110 Jesus Luzardo (RC)
#DN-11 Pete Alonso (Decade's Next insert)
#85-75 Mark McGwire (Topps 1985 35th Anniverary insert)
#TR-33 Matthew Boyd (Turkey Red 2020 insert)
#TR-26 Francisco Lindor (Turkey Red 2020 insert)
#TR-13 Mookie Betts (Turkey Red 2020 insert)
#TR-46 Mike Trout (Turkey Red 2020 insert)
#TR-1 Bryce Harper (Turkey Red 2020 insert)
#RH-25 Rhys Hoskins (Rhys Hoskins Star Player Highlights insert)
#RH-13 Rhys Hoskins (Rhys Hoskins Star Player Highlights insert)
#DBC-87 San Francisco Giants (Decade's Best Chrome insert)
#TRC-75 Manny Machado (Turkey Red 2020 Chrome insert)
#240 Jameson Taillon (Gold parallel)
#289 Yuri Gurriel
#162 Michael Baez (RC)
#141 Roberto Osuna
#108 Josh Rojas (RC)
#151 Tommy La Stella
#203 Joc Pederson
#48 Jeff McNeil (FS)
#275 J.T. Riddle
#139 Jose Quintana
#68 James Paxton
#326 Dylan Cease (RC)
#109 Reese McGuire
#115 Matt Thaiss (RC)
#99 Dan Vogelbach
#86 Hyun-Jin Ryu (LL)
#241 Mike Clevinger
#258 Max Scherzer (WS)
#22 Emilio Pagan
#232 Justin Verlander (LL)
#90 Brock Holt
#140 Trevor Bauer
#154 C.J. Cron
#190 Aaron Nola
#148 Willy Adames
#338 Chicago Cubs (TC)
#316 Justin Turner
#225 Oscar Mercado (FS)
#247 Garrett Cooper
#101 Brad Hand
#322 Dario Agrazal (RC)
#197 Raisel Iglesias
#14 Anthony Rendon
#37 Albert Almora
#271 Josh Bell

5 comments:

  1. Topps did some nice work choosing these action shots. The Barnes is perfect for a horizontal card.

    I'm counting on the cardsphere to show me the highlights of 2020 Topps since I have no idea when I'll be able to buy new cards :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to berate this set for not having any of the World Series winning Washington Nationals, but I notice there is a Max Scherzer card and Anthony Rendon, but Tony "Two-Bags" is now an Angel and is probably airbrushed into their red jersey. Then there is "missed the ring by that much" Mr. Harper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops sorry for some reason I was thinking the list shown was the entire checklist. My bad.

      Delete
  3. The Ramon Laureano is my favorite card from this year's flagship, but that Barnes is awesome too. Love the action... and the fact that they're at AT&T or whatever they're calling it these days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't come across any of the tins at the store, though truth be told I'm not shopping that often given the pandemic. I will say that I love the Turkey Red chrome cards. Those inserts along with the collector's tin are reason enough for me to splurge on it if I came across one of them.

    ReplyDelete