Friday, June 26, 2020

Do You Taboo?

Have you ever played the game Taboo? If you haven't, the essential premise is to try to describe an object without using a list of words.


I thought it would be fun to try this using baseball cards. For example, if I said "Naughty word on bat knob" , chances are you would know I'm talking about the 1989 Fleer Billy Ripken card. Easy, right?


Now, ideally I think this would make a fun Bat-A-Round, but I'll let my fellow bloggers decide if this is worthy. If anyone wishes to do this, let me establish a list of "Taboo" words and phrases:

  • Player names or positions
  • Team city/state/moniker
  • Card manufacturers or product names
  • The year the card came out
  • The following words: "rookie" "All-Star" or "Hall of Fame/Famer"

Got it? Fantastic! Let's see if you can figure outs these cards:

1. Integration pioneer slides into base

2. He's wearing a snake!

3. Milhouse just wanted the one with the big sideburns

4. Home run king's wood-grained debut

5. Knuckleball legend's great yellow sunset card

Go ahead and take your guesses in the comments! If any of my fellow bloggers choose to do their own version of the game, let me know too!

*****New Blog Alert!*****

Adam from Cardboard Clubhouse is starting over with a new blog! Say "Hello" to The Epic Baseball Card Adventure!

10 comments:

  1. My guesses
    1) 1956 topps Jackie Robinson
    2) 1984 Fleer Glenn Hubbard
    3) I'm a Simpsons fan but nothing's coming to me
    4) 1955 Bowman Hank Aaron?
    5) 1987? Classic Phil Niekro with the Jays

    Fun idea

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking #4 is the 87 Topps Barry BOnds rc. But I too have no ideas on #3.

    ReplyDelete
  3. #5 would be the 1988 Score Phil Niekro.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These were the only two that popped into my head:

    2. 1984 Fleer Glenn Hubbard
    4. 1987 Topps Barry Bonds

    ReplyDelete
  5. #3 is, of course, 1973 Topps Carl Yastrzemski!

    I love Taboo. It's been a while since I have gotten to play. If you'll forgive a self-indulgent story, I was once playing at a gaming convention, and after a round my partner, whom I did not previously know, said he was thinking of giving me a clue related to The Point, the Harry Nilsson animated TV special from the early 70s, but he wasn't sure that I would know who Nilsson was. I said that I had actually MET Harry...and then realized that I had met him IN THE VERY SAME HOTEL that we were playing in! Very weird.

    ReplyDelete