Friday, March 4, 2022

The Diamong King's Draft (My Selections)

 

Kevin (The Diamond King) had a great idea - a small 9 card draft. Eight of us submitted nine cards to the draft pool, and from there we each took turns drafting new cards. I offered up some doubles I had with a few singles I wasn't going to miss. 

Once everyone submitted their cards, Kevin threw in a few extra, took pics of every card (90 cards in total!) and then randomly set the draft order. Out of 8 participants, I ended up in position #7, which is just fine in a snake draft format because that meant I got my second pick at #10. 

I looked over the cards and saw what was available. After double checking a few to see if I already had them, I focused on 4 cards that I really wanted. One of those I could see going before my first pick, but if it should fall to me, I have reasonable confidence that I'd be able to score all 4 cards in my first 4 picks. So how did I do? Well, I didn't get that first card, a sweet vintage Lou Brock, but the rest of the draft went incredibly well (Permission of use of pictures granted by Kevin):

Round #1 (Pick #7) David Ortiz

 
There were 3 Red Sox cards in the draft pool, and I already had 2 of them. I wasn't going to let the lone one I needed get past me!

Round #2 (Pick #2) Ruben Sierra

 
I only need 3 cards to complete the 1991 Fleer Pro-Visions insert set, and Sierra happened to be one of them!

Round #3 (Pick #7) Kirby Puckett

 
Puckett was another one! One card left to complete the set - too bad there wasn't a Bo Jackson in the draft pool!

Round #4 (Pick #2) Buck O'Neil

 
I didn't have any cards of Negro League legend and new Hall Of Fame inductee Buck O'Neil, so I was happy to have a chance to rectify that omission!

Round #5 (Pick #7) Hank Conger

 
Before the draft, I submitted to Kevin a draft list, in case something came up and I couldn't draft live. Here is where I started to strategize a little and deviate from the list. I started to look at the cards I was targeting and see which ones would be more likely to get taken before my next chances to draft. I didn't think this Diamond parallel would last until the 7th round, so I snatched it up.

Round #6 (Pick #2) Chris Sale

 
He may be wearing the wrong color socks here, but I couldn't pass up a staff ace who happens to share a birthday with me!

Round #7 (Pick #7) Deion Sanders

 
Maybe I had a recent haiku on the brain, but it's also a card I need from a major set during a time I was collecting heavily.

Round #8 (Pick #2) Rogers Hornsby

 
I'll never own a 1933 Goudey Rogers Hornsby card, but the reprint will do nicely!

Round #9 (Pick #7) Rafael Devers

 
For my last pick I went completely off script. I looked at the remaining cards, and decided that an extra copy of the young Red Sox star would make me happier than any of the remaining cards. Started the draft with a Red Sox slugger, ended the draft with one too!

I must say I was quite pleased with the results. Of my top 9 choices, I ended up with 5 of them! Thanks again Kevin for a fun night of card drafting!

8 comments:

  1. I had a good time too, and was satisfied with my picks.

    The Sale and Hornsby were from me, by the way. Glad to see them picked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Ortiz and the Sierra were both in my top ten.

    Surprised Conger went that early. But it was a draft room full of baseball guys, so maybe you're right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the two Fleer Pro-Vision cards, the Conger and the Sale cards on my list but at a lower priority than you. I'm still totally happy with the cards I got and it looks like you did very well too. Can't wait to participate in another card draft.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure it's just the angle, but Deion looks really thin in that photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Buck O'Neill is my favorite pick.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Got 'em.

    I thought there was going to be another post with a PWE that got caught in the mail. So I was waiting for that to see what I needed to send. But I guess there wasn't. So I have the PWE ready and it should go out on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not surprised you picked up a couple Red Sox, but it's great to see that you got a pair of set fillers, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good draft! It was fun, and I think most everyone got a few cards they liked. Hopefully we can do it again sometime.

    ReplyDelete