Monday, August 29, 2022

Sparky, Spaceman, and Walpole Joe

Last month, I made mention of three autographs I had purchased through eBay. I showed off the Sparky Lyle before I had it hand, all for a contest I didn't win (Funny story about that though..but that's for another blog post!) Anyway, now that I have them, it's time to give them a proper showing:
 

1983 Topps #694 Sparky Lyle (SV)


Obviously I'll start with Mr. Lyle. There's so much to love about this card. The signature is bold but legible. The card features him with two teams, and neither are the Yankees! On the left, a clean-shaven young rookie, while on the right a grizzled vet in the last year of his career in all of his mustached glory!

1990 Topps #321 Joe Morgan (MGR)

 
A member of the Red Sox Hall of Fame, he's the first "new" Red Sox manager I remember growing up, having replaced John McNamara at the All-Star break in 1988. 12 straight wins out of the gate gave birth to "Morgan Magic" and an AL East title. I've always appreciated when card companies try to be bold with their card design (yeah, I'm one of the few that really like Donruss's 1988-91 attempts), and Topps 1990 comic book panels really stood out to me.
 

1977 Topps #503 Bill Lee


Last but not least, we have the always out there Bill Lee. Here's hoping that his recent medical scare isn't anything too serious and he can soon get back out on that ball field again!
 

4 comments:

  1. Great autos! Total agreement on the 1990 Topps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't spent much time looking at '83 Topps, and therefor don't recall the Super Veteran subset(?). I'm kind of curious now to see who else was in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guys like Willie Stargell, Gaylord Perry, Steve Carlton, Pete Rose, Kent Tekulve, Rollie Fingers and others.

      Delete