Friday, April 28, 2023

Random Thoughts And Musings For The Blog's 6th Anniversary

April has been the month for milestones on this blog. I wrote my 300th Haiku, as well as my 1,000th post. Now we've reached the 6th anniversary of Diamond Jesters! I didn't have anything really special planned for today, so I'm just going to throw out some randomness, mostly hobby related, although not all sports-related.
 
**********

I'm going to start off on a little bit of a downer, but I have an overall positive message stemming from it, so please bear with me. I've been working in the same small-town computer shop for 16 years. Back in February, my boss suddenly lost his 21 year old son. It was a shock to us all, especially me since I had been with the company so long I saw this individual grow from a kid riding his bike in our parking lot to the independent young man he was becoming. Anyways, at the funeral service a few of his friends spoke of him. The son was very much into online games, and one of his friends mentioned that for the longest time, they never knew what each other looked like, and that it didn't matter as they grew to be great friends virtually. The friendship and support was there, even if they didn't "see" each other. He ended on the point that he didn't need his friend to be physically there to feel his presence in his life, and that presence will always be with him. That struck a chord with me. In the 6 years I've written this blog, I've gotten to know so many of you. We've commented on each other's blogs, traded, and enriched each other lives. Yet, I couldn't pick any of you out of a lineup, and I know only about your lives outside of this hobby from what you've publicly shared on your blogs. Despite having not met any of you in person, know this: I consider each of you a friend, I care about you and your well-being, and I will support you on any path life may take you on. Thank you for your friendship in turn.
 
**********
 
On to more happy-happy-joy-joy stuff. Recently I was on the receiving end of a random act of kindness from Greg over at Crocodile Sports
 

The Yaz is a thick card, and Trevor Story is even thicker than that. I'm not sure how I feel about these cards. Are they even still "cards"? How thick can you go and still have it be considered a card? The helmet is cool though, but I'm not as impressed with the 70th Anniversary piece. 

Anyways, Thanks a bunch Greg!

**********

Is anyone else having issues adding new blogs to your Blog List gadget under Blogger? I can click on Layout, select the gadget, scroll down and select Add A New Item. I can fill out the information and save it, but there's no way to close the pop-up window short of closing the browser tab. I go back in, and the new blog isn't there. Anyone else? Just me? Cool...

**********
 
 
My eldest daughter turned 16 earlier this month, so we drove up to Richmond, VA to see a performance of one of her favorite musicals, "Hamilton". It wasn't Broadway obviously, but it was an incredibly impressive and entertaining performance nonetheless. Even if musicals aren't your cup of tea, it's worth going to if you have a chance.

**********

We're a month into the baseball season, and my Red Sox are doing OK all things considered. They've been hovering around the .500 mark all season, although that still gets them last place in the talented AL East. They've been entertaining, and I think they have one good hot streak in them that'll put them into playoff conversation.

**********

Every now and then, I'll read about damaged envelopes. Usually the fault of the post office, with some occasional rain dampness or beloved pet shenanigans sprinkled in. I think I have a new one for you. I present to you the artistic 2-year-old:
 
 
Don't worry the cards inside were fine, even if my heart did skip a beat upon finding this on the dining room floor.

**********

My sincerest thanks to the guy in my fantasy baseball league who dropped Adolis Garcia and allowed me to benefit from his 5-5,3 home run,  8 RBI night. It was the difference maker in a close head-to-head matchup against the leading team in our league. Never drop a healthy Top-100 guy in April...

**********

I announced a contest during my 1000th post, so we'll end things by announcing our winner! I had a nice round 10 commenters on the post, so I went to random.org and selected a random number between 1 and 10. I did this 6 times (being my 6th anniversary and all) and determined a winner:
 
 
The 8th commenter is our winner! That would be:
 

Congrats Derek! I'll get in contact with you to confirm your address!

31 comments:

  1. I haven't been able to add a blog to my blog list in a long time. I now have to use the Reading List to see all the blogs I want to.

    I also got an email any time someone commented on a post, but I haven't been getting them the last couple of days. It's a shame if we've lost that functionality too.

    The relationships are the reason I'll always prefer bloggers over TCDBers even though I'm doing more trading there. And the younger generation has certainly shown that you can have just as deep a relationship with people you've never met in person, as you can with people who happen to be physically near you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading list hasn't been a problem, but I would like to help promote other blogs from my page if I can.

      Delete
  2. I really appreciate the post. I'm still fairly new to the blog world, but your blog is one of those that I make sure to read. I'm trying to focus more on making comments, but know that yours is definitely a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! I could have sworn I hit the follow button on your blog before, but apparently not. I made sure this time!

      Delete
  3. Congrats again on the anniversary! 6yrs, 1000 posts and 300 haiku's are impressive!

    My youngest 16 yr old just saw Hamilton too! But she came away less impressed then yours.

    I haven't had an issue with the blog list gadget lately. On a rare occasion I have to go in and fix a link. But that gadget should close automatically upon saving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See? This is what I mean - I feel a strengthened bond now that I know we both have daughters the same age!

      Delete
  4. Congrats again, job well done! I haven't had a problem adding blogs to my list, not sure how to help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just added a new one following this: 1) paste the URL. 2) Select CONTIINUE (with the blog name field blank). 3) Blog name then appears, so click on the Blog Name. 4) Select SAVE (had to hit SAVE twice). Box went away and all was good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried again, but the box never goes away for me...it's weird.

      Delete
  6. Congrats on 6 great years!
    Those helmet cards are fun from a tactile perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The helmet cards do have a certain charm to them.

      Delete
  7. Congrats on 6 years, and thanks for sharing the powerful story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on the anniversary and sorry to hear about your boss's son.

    I've never met my two best friends, I live in NY and one lives in Florida and one in Indiana.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations, and Happy 6th Blogverssary!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know about the Blog List but Blogger hasn't updated the "Blogs I Follow" list in my profile in years.

    Happy blogoversary! All those achievements at roughly the same time is very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Matt, thanks for your story. I'm honoured to be the winner of your 1000th post contest as your blog was one of the first I started reading when I came back to the hobby. Julie was the first to make me comfortable in making me feel welcome in commenting and certainly in participating in Time Travelling here as well. I look forward to the next 1000 posts!

    Saw Hamilton as well, couldn't get the tunes out of my head for the longest time afterward.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy 6th, Matt! Time flies with a blog, doesn't it?

    I've tried about 12 different ways to add blogs to my blogroll but I haven't been able to do it, either. Hope blogger fixes that soon because I always need blogs to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time does indeed fly, I'm amazed to have come this far!

      Delete
  13. A. So sorry to hear about your friend. Thoughts go out to your boss and his family.

    B. Love the way you worded the circle of friends among bloggers. I've tried to explain that to my family and in-person friends... but I don't think they understand it. The cool thing is some bloggers actually end up meeting and hanging out. I've met a few... and hope to meet more in the future.

    C. Haven't tried adding a blog in a few weeks, but the last time I didn't notice any issues.

    D. Never seen Hamilton... but some of the 8th graders went to the East Coast over the break and had the chance to see it in NY. A few of the kids mentioned it was one of their favorite things.

    E. After one month... one of my teams (A's) is the worst team in baseball... and the other (Padres) is just under .500. I'm pretty sure one of them will turn things around... while the other is right where they should be.

    F. One man's damaged envelope is another man's one of a kind sketch.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on your 6th year of Diamond Jesters! I certainly share your sentiment regarding the community here, and online friends in general. You really can grow a strong connection with people you've never seen IRL. Sad to hear about your boss's son.

    The Red Sox are.. putting up a fight. But man, the AL East is loaded this year! I'm finding myself rooting for the Rays to build an insurmountable lead like the 1984 Tigers, even though the Yankees could theoretically finish in 4th place and still make the playoffs. [My god, Manfredball is dumb!]

    Congrats to Derek, I'm happy he won since he managed to sneak a hockey fact into his comment :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As of this morning, the Red Sox and Yankees are tied! (and I'll bet Red Sox fans are happier about it than Yankee fans!)

      Delete
  15. Congrats on 6 years! Appreciate your friendship, your blog, the time travel fun, and much more.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy anniversary, Matt! I would've put money on you having been around for longer than 6 years though.

    It's amazing how young 21 seems once you reach a certain age. And yet somehow it seems even younger when you hear about someone of that age who's passed. I don't have to have kids to imagine how difficult that must be for his parents. I can't imagine though how anyone is ever supposed to get over something like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon. They're doing as well as can be expected. My boss and his wife are very religious people, and there is no doubt that their faith is helping them through this.

      Delete