Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Repack Haiku #303 (Ted Power)

Lone postseason start
Attempt to beat Reds' platoon
Did well, but still lost
 
1989 Fleer #142 Ted Power
 
From his Wikipedia page:
In the 1990 National League Championship Series, Power made the only postseason appearances of his career. He appeared as a reliever in two games and he started the sixth game as part of an attempt to defeat the Reds' platoon system. When the Pirates announced that Power would start the game, the Reds started their left-handed-hitting platoon. After the right-handed Power pitched three innings, Pittsburgh manager Jim Leyland brought in left-handed starter Zane Smith to have more favorable matchups against the left-handed Reds lineup. Power and Smith each gave up only one run, but the team lost the game 2-1.

3 comments:

  1. Shame the Pirates bats couldn't help Power out a little more. If they win, maybe the beat the Reds in Game 7 and face my beloved A's in the WS. And maybe... the A's don't get swept :D Damn... I hate being that fan that dwells on maybes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's too bad he couldn't have been left in for a few more innings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I'm having that same problem with adding new blogs to my blog roll ... I see Nick from Dime Boxes was able to add my new '93 Upper Deck blog, I don't know how he did it.

    ReplyDelete