Monday, April 29, 2024

A Post Full Of Randomness

Lots of little bits and pieces of things I haven't posted yet, plus some random thoughts...

**********

I'm long overdue on thanking Michael from Dillard's Dugout for these cards he sent me:
 
 
Only two more from that Mookie Betts insert set to go. I really should just knock that one out. Oh, and if you haven't been to Dillard's Dugout yet, do so. He writes some great posts!

Thanks Michael!

**********

I'm happy my humble little Blog Bat-A-Round inspired some cool posts around the blog-o-sphere. Here's the list of participants if anyone is interested:
UPDATE - Here's a few more:
If I missed anyone, please let me know. It was great seeing how everyone had their own interpretation of what a "hit" meant to them.

**********
 
Fun Fact: It was a Blog Bat-A-Round that got me into starting this blog. That was 7 years ago as of yesterday. I'm amazed I'm still here all this time later. I've had blogs before this one, and they all died out do to writers block or just life in general keeping me from posting regularly. Here's to the beginning of year 8!

**********

Knowing how Topps loves to put obscure rookies into their sets, I'm really hoping that Red Sox reliever Cam Booser gets a card in Series 2. I'm a sucker for a great baseball story, and Booser has one. This article from MLB is worth a read: From carpenter to MLB hurler: Booser's wild journey to debut. You can't help but root for guys like this.

**********

Another batch of free cards that are overdue for a thank you. This time from Bo of Baseball Cards Come To Life!
 
 
Bo had picked up a complete set of 1977 Kellogg's 3-D Superstars earlier this year, and had an extra Fergie Jenkins available for trade. The Hall of Fame pitcher doesn't have a ton of cards from his brief tenure with the Red Sox, so I made a note that I should try and trade for it. Generously, I didn't need to make a trade.

Thanks Bo!

**********

I use Yahoo! as my personalized browser home page. I've had it for decades. Yahoo doesn't really maintain a lot of the feeds anymore, but I still get to see a good deal of Red Sox headlines every day, among other things.

Back in early March, I ran a post detailing a trade I made with Johnny from Johnny's Trading Spot. Somehow, my blog post ended up on the Yahoo feed!
 
 
I don't know how it ended up there, but unsurprisingly that post has a good 100 views more than any of my other posts from this year. A day or two later, I saw another Red Sox-centric blogger's post on the feed as well. Since then, nothing. Was it Yahoo playing around with blogger feeds? Is there something I could do to get my posts to show up more often? Has anyone else had a post get promoted unexpectedly like this?

**********

 
Red Sox Nation lost another member of the curse-breaking 2004 team when Dave McCarty passed away earlier this month. He's the second guy from that team to pass away in the past year, along with Tim Wakefield. He had just made an appearance during the Red Sox home opener too, celebrating the 20th Anniversary of that championship. Being only 6 years younger than McCarty, it's a little jarring.

**********
 
Last time I was in Wal-Mart, they had boxes of the 2023 Topps Holiday set out. It made me think about the huge potential this year's design has for a holiday set (I'm thinking Christmas lights...). So much so, that I'm looking forward to it. I'm hoping Topps doesn't drop the ball with their best looking set in years. That Holiday set could be amazing!

*********

I'm going to wrap things up with one last free card. Kevin aka The Diamond King was giving away some old cards recently. I don't collect non-sports cards generally, but the picture on this 1932 card made me laugh, so I requested it. 
 
 
I hope it brightens your day as well!
 
 
 
 

7 comments:

  1. Glad you like the Jenkins! I don't really open packs, so I didn't have anything to contribute to this particular bat-around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto. I don't open many packs so maybe I'll get in the next bat around.
    BTW - Happy Blogoversary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy anniversary, Matt!

    And I haven't gotten to the post yet, but it looks like Greg (Nine Pockets) did one for your bat-around yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad I could help with cards! Somehow I missed you blog bat-around. I'm not sure I could put together my top 5 pulls. Congrats on 7 years, looking forward to the next 7!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anytime I examine my blog stats, which I don't do very much anymore, there is a bizarre number of clicks on some random post. I usually credit it to bots, but I bet sometimes it's weird stuff like the yahoo mention.

    Interesting on this blog lasting longer than you're other ones. Cards produce infinite ideas I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy anniversary! Thanks for kicking of the BBA. It was a lot of fun reading everyone's responses.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Much belated happy blogiversary!

    ReplyDelete