Friday, April 5, 2024

Payday Pack - I Wood Not Have Believed It If I Didn't See It!

I was worried for a little bit, the bounty of baseball cards at my local Wally World dried up, and for awhile I feared things had returned to an unfortunate new normal. However, a recent stop showed replenished shelves. I grabbed a few pack, and bow am I ever glad I did!

3rd Place

#211 Tampa Bay Rays (TC)
  
I always enjoy seeing the players have fun, and when that fun is depicted on cardboard then all the better. Bonus points for a cameraman cameo!
 

2nd Place

#128 Christopher Morel (FS)
  
One of the most popular cards of the first series, and it's easy to see why: A Future Star, celebrating a big blue "W" with a classic Chicago ivory backdrop. On most days, this would be an easy choice for first place, but not today...
 

1st Place

#89BR-TG Tony Gwynn
(1989 Topps Baseball Relic Red SN#25)

Holy cow! This might be the best card I ever pulled out of a pack! While I doubt highly this particular piece of bat was ever held in the hands of the departed Hall of Famer, it's still a cool hit. Plus, it's a parallel numbered to only 25 copies!
 
Other Contestants not Appearing On Stage:
#292 Kodai Senga (ASR)
#206 NL Batting Average Leaders (Arraez/Acuna/Freeman) (LL)
#192 Baltimore Orioles (TC)
#276 Gregory Santos
#80 J.P. Sears
#329 Astros No-No (CL, HL)
#107 Shane Bieber
#65 Johan Oviedo
#197 Eury Perez (FS)
#204 Nico Hoerner
#100 Gerrit Cole
#324 AL ERA Leaders (Cole/Gray/Bradish) (LL)
#241 Seattle Mariners (TC)
#104 Connor Wong
#78 Mark Vientos
#293 NL RBI Leaders (Olson/Alonso/Albies) (LL)
#126 Philadelphia Phillies (TC)
#SB-20 Paul Goldschmidt (Superstar Blueprint insert)
#SMLB-6 Luis Robert Jr. (Superstars of MLB insert)
#SLMB-12 Sal Frelich (Superstars of MLB insert)
#212 NL ERA Leaders (Snell/Senga/Steele) (LL)
#119 Hunter Greene
#71 Brandon Marsh
#43 Dalton Varsho
#195 Dominic Canzone (RC)
#156 Corbin Carroll (ASR)

12 comments:

  1. It's nice when good things happen to good people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Voting for Gwynn and his bat piece.

    (I guess I'm less cynical than you. If they say he used it in a game, I take their word for it. I figure they don't want to lie due to legal issues.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome pull! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, congrats on that great Gwynn hit!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Gwynn is great, I love the 1989 relics!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice pull. I am one of about 3 people on the internet though who doesn't care about Tony Gywnn cards.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that is a really nice pull, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete