Friday, August 7, 2026

Generosity In All It's Forms

It's a well known fact that card collectors are among the most generous of any hobby group. What's more, they express this generosity in many ways:
 
Take for instance Tom (Batting Out Of Order). He recently held a giveaway on his blog for anyone to take advantage of. I of course took part. Nabbing the Red Sox cards was an obvious choice for me, as was a vintage Sabres card. The rest, to be honest, were cards I just liked for one reason or another. (Except for the Big Red Machine Combo card - I actually wanted the card next to it, but wrote down the wrong number in the comments! No matter - it's still a cool card! I should probably double check and see if a certain Larkin super-collector needs it...)
 
 
Favorite Card: 1977 Hostess #148 George Scott  
 
Sometimes generosity comes in the form of some extra cards in a trade. That's what Bo (Baseball Cards Come to Life!) did with our most recent Time Travel Trading trade. He included these extra cards for my collection:
 
 
Favorite Card: 2002 Upper Deck #597 Johnny Damon
 
Random unexpected cards are wonderful, but sometimes a collector will contatc you, see if you need specific cards and then hunt them down for you. That's what Stuart (S.R. '75 Cards) did when he asked if I needed the two Japanese variations of Daisuke Matsuzaka's 2007 Topps card. He sent both of them my way, along with an unexpected autograph:
 

Favorite Card: 2026 Topps Heritage - Real One Autographs #ROA-KCA Kristian Campbell (AU) 
 
My sincerest thanks to Tom, Bo, and Stuart for their amazing generosity!  

6 comments:

  1. Glad you were able to participate. The card you originally wanted might still be available, have a look, I can send it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad also to help you out I figured the other 2 Dice-Ks would be great in your collection as for the autograph like I mentioned I rather see a person who collects a certain team or player happy they have an autograph for that part & hopefully they see something that I'm interested down the road

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard to beat 70's oddball issues. That Hostess Scott is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to find cards you needed! Never seen those Japanese version cards before - very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You picked some nice ones from Tom. I really like the Reds combo card, along with all the Red Sox and Sox-adjacent players. The Dice-K kanji cards and Campbell auto are fantastic as well.

    ReplyDelete