Monday, June 25, 2018

Hockey Cards From Cardboard History - Pack #6

I'm continuing my series of posts showing off the endless bounty of cards I received from Billy at Cardboard History! Another pack, this with a shiny goalie as the top card:


There's something is a little different about this pack...


Hidden Red Sox! This was a pleasant surprise! Billy is a collector extraordinaire, but his focus is mainly on the NBA, NHL, and NASCAR. He obviously found a few baseball cards to pass along my way as well. Can't go wrong with a Hall of Famer, a Red Sox legend, a postseason hero, and a two-time All-Star!

On to the hockey portion of the pack! As usual, there are a lot of great cards that I've never seen before. I'll highlight a few...

1989-90 Topps - Sticker Inserts #9 Geoff Courtnall

As far as All-Star cards go, this one is pretty sharp looking. What makes it different is that it is actually a sticker! I wonder how many kids actually peeled these and stuck them somewhere.

1990-91 Bowman #218 Mike Richter (RC)

I swear there is a guy somewhere in there! Is this the same Louisville that makes bats for baseball players?

1990-91 Pro Set #567 Buffalo Sabres Logo (TF)

This was a cool little fact card of the Sabres' team history. In the 18 years since, they've added 1 more appearance in the Stanley Cup Finals (1999), 1 Prince of Wales Trophy (1999), and 1 Presidents' Trophy (2007). Their Top Coach would now be Lindy Ruff, and Great Players would have to include names like Dominik Hasek and Pat LaFontaine.

1993-94 Parkhurst #236 Eric Lindros (SS)

Eic Lindros was the Connor McDavid of my childhood - a player of such extraordinary talent. This is a cool card from his sophomore season.

1999-00 Upper Deck #234 Luc Robitaille

Foil on cards can be very hit or miss. I think gold foil with the dark blue and black banner looks great! I think I have a few baseball cards with this same design.

2006-07 McDonald's Upper Deck #50 Alexander Ovechkin

I'd be remiss if I didn't acknowledge this great oddball card of the current Stanley Cup champ and Conn Smythe winner Alex Ovechkin!

2017-18 Upper Deck #146 Evgeni Malkin

I'll finish this up with a great action shot of Evgeni Malkin celebrating. Kudos to the photographer!

As always, my sincere gratitude to Billy for his generous package!

2 comments:

  1. That's an awesome Ovi card. The Pro Set team fact logo cards were my favorites as a kid. I wish someone would update them - but it would have to be Upper Deck :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are still enjoying them and liked the surprise! Someone sent me some baseball, he doesn't blog but they had come to me just a few months before the contest, so I was lucky to have them on hand.

    ReplyDelete