Monday, February 18, 2019

6 Degrees of Mookie - The Teddy Higuera Connection

It's time once again for "6 Degrees Of Mookie" - the fabulous game show blog post where I take a random card in my collection and attempt to connect it to current Red Sox superstar Mookie Betts! Let's take a look at today's contestant! 

Random TCDB Card:

 1992 Donruss #294 Teddy Higuera



If someone were to ask you who was the MLB's best pitcher in 1986, you'd probably say it was Cy Young and MVP award winner Roger Clemens. However, Higuera finished that season with a higher WAR! That season was one for the ages as Higuera earned his only All-Star selection en route to becoming the first Mexican to win 20 games. He one of the many tales of a pitcher with Hall of Fame talent derailed by injuries.

Looking at the list of Brewers in the 1992 Donruss set, I think I have a connection.

Teammates in the 1992 Donruss set
#294 Teddy Higuera
#51 Paul Molitor

It helps to find players who have either had long careers and played on numerous teams. Paul Molitor definitely qualifies here. Among those teams, I recall him having a stint with the Twins.

Teammates in the 1999 Fleer Tradition set
#222 Paul Molitor
#248 David Ortiz

David Ortiz was just starting out as Molitor's career was winding down. These Twins can claim to have two of the greatest designated hitters in history on the same team!

Teammates in the 2016 Topps set
#400 David Ortiz
#84 Mookie Betts

David Ortiz is probably the one former teammate Mookie has had that can claim to have been playing in the 1900's - if I can connect a card to Big Papi, that'll make my job a lot easier!

Degrees of Mookie: 3



4 comments:

  1. I dont think I've seen Six Degrees of Mookie on your blog before. Neat idea for a series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea for a post! When it came to pitchers... 1986 was all about Clemens and Gooden. But I do remember Higuera's season. His 1986 Topps card is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete