Friday, February 22, 2019

Payday Pack - It's Always Gray In New York

Maybe it's me, but for the small sample size of cards I've bought so far, collation has been horrible! I've bought less than 200 cards, and over a quarter of them have been doubles! I even have triples of cards already! Here's hoping things get better. In the meantime, let's look at my Top 3...

3rd Place

2019 Topps #263 Always Sonny

This card is actually a big swing-and-a-miss from Topps as far as I'm concerned. Topps is obviously trying to reference the TV show "It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia". The problem I have is that this show's full title references another MLB city! Wouldn't an "Always Sunny" header work better for some Phillies players? No, Topps really, really needed to attach that headline to a guy named Sonny, even if said player was one of the least liked players on the team. Was any Yankee fan sad to see him get traded?

2nd Place

2019 Topps - 1984 Topps Baseball 
#T84-3 Trea Turner

These 1984 cards are pretty nice, even if they are just Archive wannabes...

1st Place

2019 Topps #21 Jean Segura

The best picture of the pack goes to a guy who will get to see how sunny Philadelphia can get. I love the outstretched arms as he glides around the bases. Dirt on a uniform is always a good addition too!

Other Contestants Not Appearing On Stage
#49 Michael Kopech (RC)
#74 Chad Bettis
#142 Pedro Strop
#228 Rafael Devers
#237 Seth Lugo
#317 Kevin Gausman
#SSB-24 Eugenio Suarez (Super Stars of Baseball insert)
#344 Max Scherzer
#203 Will Smith
#285 Sonny Gray
#20 Jose Urena
#133 Ryan Zimmerman
#57 Justin Verlander

4 comments:

  1. I wish Topps would scrap the stupid puns and combo card titles. 95% of them are lame but this one makes no sense, as you pointed out. If Topps absolutely had to use it, a Phillies card with two or more player celebrating a win would have worked a lot better.


    Also, I disagree with the superstar status of Eugenio Suarez. Good player, very underrated. Not a superstar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been able to go to a few Reds games over the last three years, and I always like it when they announce Eugenio Suarez. I also went to some Padres games, and my favorite name from those was Carlos Asuaje.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice call on the Segura. It's a great looking card.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sonny Gray was not liked and did not perform well in NY, so the card feels very tone deaf. It's like a Jacoby Ellsbury card. No one wants it. I guess Didi saves it a little, but still, not a necessary card.

    ReplyDelete