Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Repack Haiku #180 (Chris Bosio)

Fired from coaching
For insensitive comments
To clubhouse worker
 
1990 Donruss #57 Chris Bosio

After a successful Major League career, Bosio was well into an equally successful career as a pitching coach. That all changed in 2018 when he made an offensive comment at an African-American clubhouse attendant. The Tigers fired him, and he hasn't gotten another MLB job since. 

**********

"Reflect upon your present blessings, of which every man has many, not your past misfortunes, of which all men have some." - Charles Dickens

Last week, Trevor at Bump and Run Football Cards challenged his fellow bloggers to write a daily post with things we are thankful for. Although I couldn't do a week's worth of postings, I can at least list 7 things I'm thankful for:
 
1. "The Child" - In an unconventional way, I became a father again this year. Due to some poor life choices by a family member and his girlfriend, my wife and have full legal custody of our niece, who turns 1 next month. Outside of explaining the circumstances, that is the only time I refer to her as my niece. She's as much my daughter as my other two, and our family smiles and laughs more because of this blessing.

2. My family's health - So far, no one in my immediate family has caught the COVID-19 virus. For the most part my extended family and friends have avoided it as well. I'm thankful for that, and hopeful it continues into the new year.

3. My health - Back in September, I had surgery to remove some polyps that were blocking my nasal cavities and made it difficult to breath. It was a world of difference once that was done and I am looking forward to actually being able to smell all that Thanksgiving food!

4. My wife - We celebrated our 15th anniversary this year. I'm not quite sure how she's put up with me for so long.

5. My kids - I've got a teenager who wants very little to do with the world outside her bedroom, a 9 year old obsessed with fake nails, and as I mentioned above I've had a year's worth of diapers to change. I wouldn't trade any of them for the world.

6. My job - Being "essential" sucks sometimes, but the stability my job has afforded me means a steady paycheck. I even got a raise this year!

7. This blog, this hobby, and all of you - I don't get to spend as much time with my collection as I'd like, and definitely not as much money ;) but this blog and the community of fellow collectors I've had the honor of communicating with have been a joy to me. I haven't met any of you personally, but I feel a kinship with each of you. Thanks you!
 
I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving tomorrow, This has been a crazy year, and often it seems there hasn't been much to be thankful for, but now more than ever we need to find the good in our lives and give thanks.
 
 



4 comments:

  1. happy thanksgiving matt! i know a couple of people who have raised children or were raised in similar situations and their whole families (and yours) are blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds to me like you’ve got it all figured out, stay safe and enjoy the family and Thanksgiving

    ReplyDelete
  3. Been loving the being "thankful" posts that been inspired by Trevor. Hope you and your family have a happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A new baby, a repaired sniffer, and a raise... sounds like it's been a pretty good year!

    ReplyDelete