Friday, January 22, 2021

Top 5 Tribute: Tommy Lasorda

I have a confession. I was all but certain 2020 was going to take Tommy Lasorda. He had been sick for awhile, and I was thinking that 2020 line-up of deceased Hall of Famers was going to get their manager. It almost seems fitting Lasorda gave 2020 the bird and held out to 2021. Still, it's sad to lose one of MLB's most colorful characters. As I've been doing far too often, I honor his memory with my top 5 favorite cards in my collection:
 

1978 Topps #189 


1978 Topps has the best manager cards, and it's not even close. The then-and-now motif with a black-and-white postage stamp for their playing days is fantastic!

1981 Fleer #116

 In Lasorda's first two full seasons as Dodgers manager, he lead the team to back-to-back N.L. Pennants. In both years his team fell to the Yankees in the World Series. In 1981 however, Tommy and his boys got sweet revenge, beating those same Yankees. 

1988 Topps #74


Any Lasorda tribute that doesn't include his iconic golf cart card isn't a proper tribute. If I had a year like Lasorda's Dodgers had in 1988, I'd have a big smile too!

1990 Topps #669


It's been mentioned many times over but other collectors better than me, but Lasorda really does have the best cards of any manager out there. This one gets a big thumbs up from me!
 

1992 Topps #261


 If the 1988 Topps card isn't Tommy's best, than this one is. It's not often you see the field general actually leading his troops!

Rest in peace Mr. Lasorda, your legacy will live on!

7 comments:

  1. I know that the 88T and 92T cards are two of his most iconic... but there's just something I love about the "crossed arms" posed shot on the 81F that I love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I just read that - this one hurts above all the others. MLB lost one of the true giants of the sport.

      Delete
    2. just a brutal start to 2021. terrible.

      Delete
  3. You could do a top 10 with Lasorda and all of them would be spectacular.

    ReplyDelete