Monday, January 4, 2021

An Update

I knew I wanted to take a short break from blogging around Christmas, so I made sure I had some posts queued up and scheduled to go up through the end of the year. It's a good thing I did, because just before Christmas, I got the Covid virus. It's weird how quickly everything happened. The Sunday before Christmas, I was exhausted but otherwise felt fine. Monday comes, and the coworker in the cubicle next to me is out and has emailed the company that he had a fever and ended up getting tested. Tuesday two more coworkers are out with fevers, and the first guys test comes back positive. I got tested the Wednesday before Christmas, and lost my sense of smell and taste that same day. I was already scheduled off for a 4-day holiday weekend, and on the day after Christmas, I got my positive test result. My family and I quarantined ourselves in our home for the next 10 days.

I guess in retrospect I got a mild case. I never had a fever, and never had any difficulty breathing. I had a cough, and as I already mentioned, lost my senses of smell and taste for awhile. The big thing was the sheer exhaustion I felt. I didn't have the energy to do anything! I just wanted to sleep all day. We had groceries delivered to us, and on more than a few occasions had to use Door Dash because we just didn't feel like cooking dinner.

It was rough, but we're doing much better. My wife had it as bad as I did, but the kids only dealt with symptoms for a day or two. My in-laws contracted it too, and are still dealing with issues. My father-in-law is currently in the ICU because his blood sugar levels were dangerously high, and although he's doing better he'll probably have to use an oxygen tank for a bit after he gets released. I can't help but feel guilty that he probably got that from me. At work, the boss had to shut down the office to the public for awhile. Out of 9 people in the office, 6 of us tested positive. Fortunately, most of my coworkers could remote in to work from home, and I think that helped greatly. 

As far as the blog goes, I've stayed away. I didn't have the energy to read other blogs and comment, and I definitely didn't get a chance to work on some new posts. It's going to take me a while to get back on track, so if January is a light month, that would be why. There's a lot of posts I want to do this month, so we'll see how that goes. I have some cards I still need to send out, and now that it's safe for me to leave the house, I plan on getting out to the post office some time this week. To those expecting cards from me, I appreciate your patience.

I hope everyone reading this stays healthy. I was doing my part - wearing my mask, keeping my distance, sanitizing - and still ended up with it. That's just how life goes sometimes. It's not something I wish on any of you, and hopefully this will be the last "I got Covid" post we'll see within our little community. Take care, and be safe!

11 comments:

  1. Damn, that's scary! Glad to hear most of you are doing better or recovering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear y'all are doing better and best wished for the inlaws.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are doing better and best of luck to the in-laws. BTW do not send cards to me yet - I accidentally sent yours out without a stamp and am waiting for it "return to sender".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry you went through all that...hope there are no lasting effects.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you are doing OK! I ended up having to get tested last week, but it came back negative. Dodged a bullet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear. I hope your in-laws recover soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're not alone. December was pretty crazy. Several of my friends and co-workers were dealing with it. Hope you, your family, and your co-workers make a quick recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Geez, scary but glad you are doing better! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's unfortunate that you had to deal with this, but thankfully, like most people who have had it (despite what the media wants us to believe), you didn't have any major problems. It's good thing too that it doesn't seem to be affecting children too much, so to them it'll have been just like a normal cold/flu.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow - just awful I hope all are well. It's frightening when our older loved one have it. My dad and step-one mom in Oklahoma picked it up around Thanksgiving from who knows where. She did fine but he was pretty sick for awhile. I lost an elderly friend three before Christmas to this. One of my closest friends just lost two healthy brothers (60 & 62) to it as well - one before Thanksgiving and the other between Christmas and New Years. Be well!

    ReplyDelete