Monday, July 5, 2021

My First Sportlots Order - Part 2

I have a confession to make - in 1981, when I was 6, I was a Yankee fan. Not exactly sure why, other than they were the predominate team in the state. My favorite player was Reggie Jackson. Again, not sure why, other than he was the predominate player for the Yankees at the time. When he left for the Angels, my interest in the Yankees practically disappeared overnight, and a new favorite team wouldn't emerge until I was much older (and smarter!)

So it's fitting that Mr. Jackson would be the last card I needed to complete the 1981 Topps set. As I mentioned last week, I able to get all but this one card from a single seller on Sportlots. I needed a second seller to find Mr. October. Of course, I couldn't just buy one card from that seller, that would be a ridiculous waste of the shipping charge! So I looked to see if they had any other cards on my So Close list:

 
 
So now the 1981 Topps set is officially complete, although there may be a stray card here or there in need of upgrading. This is the oldest set I've ever completed, which doesn't seem impressive compared to some of you vintage collectors, but as the earliest set I remember from my childhood, I'm overjoyed to finally say it's done. 

On to the next set! (Whichever one that may be..)

6 comments:

  1. Congrats! Glad you got that Yankee thing out of your system.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice. I've completed a few sets now but I'm most proud of my 1981 Topps for the same reason you are. It was the first cards that I remember seeing when I started collecting as an 8 year old.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were six. We all make silly choices when we're that age ;D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! Mr. October is a nice one to end with. And (dont tell anyone, but...) I was a Yankee fan, too. My older brother got me into baseball when I was 6. That was - and still is - his team. I was a little later, so Don Mattingly was my guy. I didn't jump to the Red Sox until the '90s. When I was old enough to know better :D

    ReplyDelete