Friday, December 10, 2021

Spring Cleaning Turns To Winter Hoarding

So. Many. Cards.

Earlier this year, I took advantage of an offer made by Kerry (Cards On Cards). Kerry was doing a little "Spring Cleaning" and getting rid of a bunch of cards that didn't fit his collection. I snagged the Red Sox of course, and sent him some cards he needed in return. I was not expecting a 300-count box of cards, let alone two! 
 
 
That's a lot of cards, and it's taken me awhile to go through everything and appreciate all of the goodies Kerry bestowed upon me. I've only gotten though one box so far, so I figured I'd get a post per box out of this. It would be crazy to show off all the cards too, so I'm just going to show off my 10 favorites.
 

10. 1994 Pinnacle #126 John Valentin

 
I just think this is a cool action shot - poetry in motion!
 

9. 2009 Topps #359 Jason Varitek

 
The packed stadium crowd really adds another dimension to this card. I almost get a Norman Rockwell painting vibe from this.
 

8. 2021 Topps - 1965 Topps Redux Chrome

#TH65-10 Rafael Devers  

 
As much rehashing as Topps does, has anyone gotten sick of the iconic 1965 design yet? I know I haven't.
 

7. 1979 TCMA 50's #95 Sammy White

 
As someone who can appreciate the history of the game, I'm grateful for these opportunities to learn some of the lesser-known names to have donned the Boston uniform. Sammy White was an All-Star catcher for the Red Sox in 1953.
 

6. 2002 Upper Deck World Series Heroes

#63 Wade Boggs

 
This is a nicely designed set, and I like how pumped Boggs is. He's ready for that ball to come at him!

5. 2020 Topps - Decade's Best Black (Series 2)

#DB-90 Pedro Martinez (SN299)

 
Pedro was hands down the most electrifying pitcher I ever had the pleasure of watching on TV. I'm always down to add another serial numbered card of his to my collection!
 

4. 2019 Topps #549 Sweet Victory

 
This is one of those cards I will always welcome getting, even if I already have a few in my collection.
 

3. 2014 Topps #301 Shane Victorino

 
An amazingly well-timed photograph! Victorino is soaring like he had wings, and the looks on the faces in the crowd only add to the appeal of this card!
 

2. 2020 Stadium Club Chrome - X-Fractor

#308 Roger Clemens

 
This card looks awesome in-hand. This picture doesn't do it justice.
 

1. 2020 Topps Archives

#308 David Ortiz (SP)  

 
I've wanted this card since it debuted last year. I love how Ortiz just steps over Fenway Park like the mythological giant he is. Here's hoping he gets his just due for the Hall of Fame!

Thanks again Kerry! Now all I need to do is go through the second box!


 
  
 
 

5 comments:

  1. Wade Boggs was a World Series Hero - for the Yankees. In '96 his bases loaded walk won Game 4.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Booo, No. 4! Booooo!

    Good-looking stuff otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Victorino, of course, is a Phillie.

    Close call between Pedro and Big Papi, but I'm going with the more traditional look of the former.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of great stuff here! The Tek is sharp (I dont have nearly enough 2009 Topps) the Victorino is fantastic, and the Chrome cards are very cool. That giant Papi though! When I saw that one I immediately added it to my COMC order; it should be here by Christmas.

    Can't wait to see what's in box #2!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a red refractor of that Victorino, which is pretty neat. This was the first time that I had seen the base card though.

    ReplyDelete