Monday, April 4, 2022

Cards From Cardboard Hemorrhage

For my own amusement, and hopefully yours, I start off with a timeline in the creation of a blog post:

September 16, 2021: Jay of Cardboard Hemorrhage offers up big lots of team cards for trade. I claimed a Red Sox lot.

December 3, 2021: Received almost 100 cards from Jay. Created an empty placeholder post with a reasonable expected post date of January 10.

January 10, 2022: Still entering cards into TCDB and filing away; nowhere even close to having a post written.

Somewhere in late February: Finally got around to selecting which cards from the stack to highlight; set expectation of publishing before end of month.
 
March 7, 2022: Received cards from Nick's 10 Year Anniversary give-away. Almost let the excitement of new cardboard further push the recap of cards from Jay to the back burner yet again, but eventually resolved to put this baby to bed first.

March 25, 2022: Finally put the finishing touches on a post that normally takes me a day to whip up. Looked at what I had scheduled coming up and set post to publish April 4th.

Today: You are reading a post 7 months in the making. (I am hoping it doesn't take me 7 months to show off Nick's cards...)

**********

Sometimes a blog post takes awhile, am I right? So, yeah, I was gifted with a large assortment of Red Sox cards in my trade with Jay, and I have selected my Top 10 favorites to show off to you today.
 

10. 2019 Topps Heritage 

#202 David Price (PH)

 
I am more than happy to hoard any cards showing off the postseason run of the Red Sox most recent World Series Championship. As a dad, I give bonus points to the eye-roll inducing word play!
 

9. 1996 Topps - Profiles By Kirby Puckett AL 

#AL-10 Mo Vaughn


I have now been introduced to this insert set featuring Hall Of Famer Kirby Puckett's take on some of baseball's best players of the 90's. The photo also prominently displays his jersey number, as Vaughn was the last Red Sox player to regularly don 42 before it was retired throughout the league.
 

8. 1992 Conlon Collection TSN 

#600 Joe Cronin (TRIV)

 
I adore the run of Conlon cards produced in the early 90's, and although I'm not yet to the point where I am actively chasing the sets, I will gladly enjoy any that come my way. Especially if it depicts a Red Sox Hall of Fame player.
 

7. 1991 Pepsi Boston Red Sox 

#NNO Mike Greenwell

 
I prefer Pepsi over Coke personally, and never knew that Pepsi put out a set for the team. I like it enough that I'll be keeping an eye out for the rest of the cards - "Gator" is my first, I doubt if he'll be the last.
 

6.  1994 Upper Deck All-Time Heroes 

#102 King Kelly (ATH)

 
I've heard of his name, knew he was an all-time great, but didn't know much more about him. This beautifully mustached card is my first King Kelly.
 

5.  1990 Upper Deck 

#555 Wade Boggs

 
Ah, 1990 Upper Deck - so many great cards in this set! I only wish Upper Deck had the foresight to make the name/logo/border align with this horizontal masterpiece of photography.
 

4.  1992 Triple Play 

#157 Greg Harris

 
Gotta love cards of players having fun! I don't know what Harris is pointing at, but the kid and his dad in the background are not impressed.
 

3.  1990 Upper Deck 

#461 Rob Murphy


Another 1990 Upper Deck! MLB recently had an article on its web site with the story behind this card. I never realized how smart of a guy he was. As someone who works on computers for a living, I have a deeper appreciation for this card.
 

2.  2019 Topps Big League 

#331 Brock Holt


 One of the best Red Sox cards from 2019. You can almost see the liquid droplets coming at you!

1. 1993 Pinnacle 

#404 Bob Zupcic

 
Poor Bob Zupcic. Some jerk of an opposing pitcher brushes you inside, and the photographer captures this particular moment. Pinnacle then decides they have to use it and now the card is more memorable than your career. I love it though - it's a part of the game you don't see on cardboard much.

Thanks for the card Jay!

5 comments:

  1. Good cards, I never knew about that Puckett subset.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Holt card, he's a PC of mine. Those Pepsi cards are not easy to come by. I want to build both Sox sets, but finding them at a reasonable price is not the easiest task.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My thoughts exactly on the Zupcic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's my kind of timeline :)

    ReplyDelete