Wednesday, September 13, 2023

Repack Haiku #323 (Mike Heath)

Lone World Series game:
Ninth inning sub at catcher
For Thurman Munson
 
1990 Donruss #209 Mike Heath
 
The only World Series appearance he made over his 14 year career happened during his rookie year with the Yankees in 1978. In Game 5, he took over at catcher in the top of the 9th inning as battery-mate Jim Beattie faced the minimum three batters. His World Series moment lasted all of 5 pitches, but he got a ring out of it!

**********

Apropos of nothing, this card represents the last card from a particularly bad repack box. Did you happen to notice how many 1990 Donruss and 1989 Fleer these haiku have been showing off this this year? Thankfully, the last repack box I bought has a lot more variety to it...

6 comments:

  1. I didn't know you were going through a whole repack box! Congrats on finishing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Technically, I'm not doing a whole box. When I buy one, I'll look for guys I've done already and remove them. I will also usually not do all the cards in the unopened pack that's included. If I get a year's worth of haiku out of one box I'm happy.

      Delete
  2. Look at you with the teaser at the end. Ever the salesman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't realize Heath was playing in the '70s. Also, repacks have really declined lately - at least the boxes I get from Walgreens. Maybe your next one is better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I could have sworn he was on one of those 80's Rookie Stars cards. This next repack box is noticeably better than what I just finished up.

      Delete
  4. I had noticed, but wasn't gonna say anything :)

    ReplyDelete