Friday, February 17, 2023

Completed! The Best Of 1988 Topps UK Minis

Earlier this week I showed off the last cards I needed to finish the 1988 Topps UK Minis set. Completing a set is always a noteworthy occasion, so I thought it would be fun to show off some cards and give out some yearbook style superlatives.

Best Red Sox card: Dwight Evans

 
My choices were Dewey, Wade Boggs standing in a batting cage, and Roger Clemens standing after throwing a pitch. Dewey's action photo wins out in the end. 

Best Hall of Fame player: Kirby Puckett

 
It doesn't take much thought to pinpoint when this photo was taken. Puckett gets a World Series photo for his card, and a great one at that!

Best card back: Zane Smith

 
The UK Minis set incorporates the beloved trivia cartoons on the back. There were some good ones, but I too derive enjoyment from listening to hard rock music, so Zane wins this award. (I do find it funny the cartoon appears to be snapping along with the music..can't say I've done that with any hard rock songs...)

Best smile: Dave Parker

 
All too often, ballplayers look too tired or too serious on their cards. Dave genuinely appears happy to have his photo taken!
 

Best action shot: Dave Stewart

 
This set contains your typical baseball shots: batter batting and pitchers pitching. Nothing really stood out, so I chose Stewart and his fist-pumping action.

Best background: Tom Henke

 
Most of the backgrounds are blurred, but Henke gets a somewhat clear background full of empty seats and a teammate taking batting practice.

Best facial hair: Ryne Sandberg

 
Hey! I had that same mustache in high school!
 

Best thing about the set 

It's a UK set, which means you have a fun way to learn English! No? OK, then I'm going with the fantastic design on the front and a back that has a lot of fun elements on the back.
 

Biggest surprise 

For a small set, it did well with the players on the checklist, as 20 of the 87 players listed ended up in the Hall of Fame (Along with a few who would be if not for some, ahem, personal choices...). There were a few notable misses though, with Carlton Fisk probably being the most notable.

7 comments:

  1. I remember seeing some of these as a kid - definitely Puckett but not Parker. As it happens, I just got a Boggs in a TCDB trade.

    Congrats on completing this neat little set!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on completing this set! I think the only card I have is the Puckett, but maybe someday, I'll put some work into this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Parker was smiling b/c he knew he'd have a good shot a getting another WS ring in Oakland :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just realized that the Pirates and A's haven't won a WS ever since Parker played with them. Hmmm. Curse of Dave Parker?

      Delete
    2. Ooooh interesting point Fuji! if I'd known that before I mentioned him on my countdown I might have included it ;)

      Delete